mopedshop versus 1977

the technigas next exhaust for tomos a35 on mopedshop is 120 dollars versus 1977 price 160 dollars. The only difference I see or read is 1977 is colored blue a little bit, and the mopedshop has no chrome or color? what's up with such a price difference for chrome and color? are they the same item? help me out...thanks..

Re: mopedshop versus 1977

becuase moped shop probably does not have overhead costs of running a store front, and opening another one in SF, prices are higher but i'd support the store and guys that started it all even this site.

yea i like to support 1977 cause they have an actual store and whatnot, but theyve messed up so a few times for me. If it cheaper at mopedshop just go there. i like 77 cause they have a nice website, have a store, and have a good inventory, its just hard to keep going back when they are inconsistent. my 2 cents

-steve

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

Both have really high shipping costs, and that stuff drives me crazy.

I've bought from both. Well I just orderd from 1977 and am waiting for half my order from mopedshop. Mopedshop charged $17 for a chain and piston stop.

It's best to order a lot of things at once if you're going to order from either. It kind of offsets the shipping costs.

lol theres a huge difference in those pipes. the chrome one has a way bigger header and is a much better pipe.

believe me, i own the other kind, they suck balls.

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

Go to 1977's website and read Dan's latest post. They are going to a warehouse setup and by the sound of things, more parts. I'm crossing my fingers for a Minarelli Circuit exhaust, personally...

Almost every time I have gone down to the shop there are either people needing help with their moped or the curious unwashed asking the usual newbie questions. This makes it hard for their employees to devote full attention to orders...it's not an excuse, but it likely one of the reasons why they are going to a different setup. I try to get as many parts from 1977 as I can, they have a good bunch of people there.

1977 is good and all but I've only delt with them like 3 times and its been in the last two months, every time, something went wrong, I dont quite understand it. But they seem to be knowledgable and friendly over there. I would definately suport them more if I could walk in and buy what I need, their mailorder right now just doesnt seem to function at all. The should really probably stop doing their mail order until they do set up their new warehouse and everything is ready to take orders. But then again, I live in ohio I like to order from michigan, USUALLY should be 1 day shipping if all goes well, but if they are out on the west coast I cant get that cheap next day...... so its geographic too. Not sure where mopedshop is but I would prefer trying them next time.

mopedshop is in nj, saddlebrook

yeah, I've actually made several orders from 77, and so has my girlfriend. I'm quite sure they have our address memorized now. They have always been super nice and patient with our questions and shipping is a bitch period..no matter where or when and how much. I guess I'll have to take a look at the pipes again... but yeah..I'm down for 77

The two pipes perform exactly the same. The header diameter, as well as all other dimensions of the pipe are identical. Perhaps Harold is mistaking the Tecno Estoril's header (which is only 23 mm OD) for the Tecnigas header which is 28.5 mm OD) The raw finish pipes tend to hold up better because the welding is better.(provided that your exhaust mount bracket is in good shape then the weld quality is negligible) . The chrome pipes have welds that sit very proud of the base material and do not have as much penetration. I am pretty certain this is done for aesthetic reasons however the fact is that the prettier weld is not necessarily the stronger weld. The chrome pipes are also a bit heavier due to the rear baffle design, On these pipes since they are mounted to Tomos mopeds that already have weak exhaust mounts, that extra weight is not too welcome. And FYI I have been heavily involved in the moped industry for over 20 years, and have had my own business and shop since prior to the Moped Army's birth. As far as overhead is concerned, I Lease a total of 6700 square feet in what amounts to be one of the highest cost of living areas in the US. Case in point, I just wrote out a check to PSEG for 1 months electric that is probably on par with what the rent for the shop in Kalamazoo would be. As far as shipping, 1977 will realize that shipping parts from the coast as opposed to their central location in MI is going to cost more and take more time.

The choice is entirely up to you. If you want the bling of the chrome pipe and annodized muffler then that is the one to get. If you are looking for the better performer then get either, since they are the same. If you are looking for the cheapest route, or to support the dealer with more overhead, or who has been into mopeds for longer then get the raw finish pipe.

Chris MWH

www.mopedshop.com

The staff at 1977 Mopeds appreciates your business. Plus, we're all hotties!

Dollar is your vote

"The choice is entirely up to you."

As long as that choice is mopedshop.com!

(Note the _THREE SEPARATE REASONS_ why you should buy the raw finish pipe in the last paragraph, none of which have anything to do with the pipe itself.)

Re: Dollar is your vote

Matt,

The THREE SEPERATE REASONS were in response to replies to this thread as to why those people would choose 1977 over MWH. I did not say it had anything to do with the actual product. Please read , think, then post.

Chris MWH

www.mopedshop.com

SEPARATE

Why are they abandoning Kalamazoo entirely? Or are they just opening up a branch out West? Talk about overhead, Frisco is about the last place that you would want to open a warehouse/mail order business for logistical reasons alone.

I got hot about how you defended yourself there. I mean, you chose to open your store in NJ with the higher cost of living. So you pay for it. You've compensated for it and have grown a successful business. I just got this feeling from your post that we should buy from you, because of that reason. I don't like that notion, it seemed arrogant to me. I read back through everything and understand better where you are coming from. I'm sorry for the venom and sarcasm.

Matt, Point taken, I got hot under the collar too and apologize . I have lived in NJ all my life. Wish I didn't , but it is too late to get out now. Dan has just moved to SF and will surly feel the difference from when he opened the Kalamazoo store. So for sure he is going to need some support.

Chris MWH

www.mopedshop.com

this world is too small.

my vote.....40 dollars cheaper! and I think my biturbo looks ridiculous with chrome and gold, why would I want to go get chrome and blue. raw doggin! thanks for clarifying that is has the same performance value. anyone running a technigas with a 15.15 dellorto? What jet?

MWH

Seems like a pretty decent place to me, although I wish they had that little online-help thing signed on more often. BTW, you can stop in and buy crap from them. I stopped in and bought some stuff as well as had a nice convo with (I think) Chris. Overall, MWH was very helpful to me, and I'll always buy from them (Unless someone else is much cheaper or MWH doesnt have the part, of course).

Part of that is because I live 40 Minutes away from the place, but they were still friendly.

wateva the community on the west coast is huge an growing rapidly, i'm sure dan will have no problem adjusting to the new location, from the conversations i've had with him he is really in it for the community of mopeders and is trying his best. one reason he did move here was to join a group of dedicated riders who are constantly pushing the limits of moped tech, not to lower his overhead. hopefully in little time his shop will offer what you want and need, since between Sacramento, LA and, SF he is around some of the most innovative and new tech performance bikes in the country.

i'll support 1977 they have never done me wrong and i consider dan a friend and very genuine, but niether has chris and mopedshop in fact he did call to ask if i still wanted a moby kit after if finally came in a 6 months later and didn't have any beef that i no longer wanted it. i've bought from both and both are good shops it just my loyalties to buy from dan if the choice is there, no offense, it is your choice.

Unfortunately overhead is the biggest factor in running a business, location another. But whatever, it's no skin off my nose what they do. But I have a hard time supporting a business that just all in the sudden decided that French bikes are where it's at after virtually ignoring that segment of the market for years. Granted most of the other dealers are equally guilty of this as well. Given that Motobecanes are the most common moped in Canada, and the second most in the US, it's rather like going to Napa and having them tell you that they have nothing for your F150 truck.

Well, <www.quarterkick.com> is picking up the slack in the french moped parts department.

huh link didn't post www.quarterkick.com

I'm with 1977 all the way, but would never let my loyalties keep me from getting a part I need.

You're going to ask that question on this website?

That's my stance, Taylor. Sometimes I can't find a part I need at 1977, so I'll order it elsewhere. But for most of my part needs, I'll go 1977.

i'm in chicago. i buy from warbux, they get it thru 1977. life is good with 1977/warbux. though if it's for my french bike, i do get some parts from quarterkick. well, then again i have ordered from MWH for a lower engine mount screw. i guess, whoever has what i need i'm getting it from them. as far as for the pipes....to each is own. if you are building a shiny bike, get it from 1977, if its rat bike style, flat matte style or something, then get it from MWH.

my 2 cents

Support local businesses who's lives depend on your purchases. I don't buy my skate/snow stuff from an online source when i know i can get it at my local shop. It might cost more, but that extra dough is helping my boys' pay rent.

I work at 1977 Mopeds. We are expanding our business to acomodate the needs of the moped community nationwide and locally. We have 3 very different locations. A shipping warehouse in SF that handles strictly mail order. Vintage sales in Chicago. A new and performance sales in Kalamazoo, MI.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account