Batavus Cylinder update. Peugeot fits.

So I machined a peugeot cylinder to fit on a laura case. The cylinder has the same bore and stroke as a batavus laura m48 and can use the same piston setup. The following must be done in order to fit it:

1.You must dremel the cylinder skirt off by 12-13mm (leaving 13mm) and grind it about 2mm thinner. It takes a little while but it works and fits.

2.You must drill out the cylinder holes closer by at least 2.5mm on each hole. The total bolt spacing difference from the laura cylinder is 7mm. by drilling in 2.5mm you can allow a maximum of 3mm to be taken up by case gaskets. Ultimately the more you drill out of the cylinder bolt holes the less case gaskets material you can use and the better gasket seal you will have, plus the more you can bolt down the flywheel and clutch nuts without altering anything. Ultimately the best setup would be to drill in the holes by 3.5mm and leave 1mm for gasket space. It just takes forever with a common drill. but will work much better.

3. You can do the same to the peugeot head or if you drill out the holes on the laura head, that will work and is preferable given that the laura head will be matching the laura piston dome.

These specs will work with a peugeot cylinder with the intention that a polini or athena peugeot kit will also work given the same guidelines. To allow for a kit to run WELL you need to be able to put a much better carb there and enlarge the intake port. This is my next step:

JB weld the outside walls where the intake case port is so that you can grind out the inside wall. Make custom reed setup and intake/carb.

I will keep everyone posted and write this up with drawings and pictures soon.

-Mark Ryan

Re: Batavus Cylinder update. Peugeot fits.

sorry to clarify this is only so far applicable to the laura m48.

Ok, now with the cylinder on i wanted to see how the piston travels... big snag. It appears that the peugeot crankshaft is placed 6mm further back in the case than the laura. (That must be why there was the extra 6mm of skirt (sorry correction on the first post, cut off 6mm not 10mm) . So that really sucks...The only possible thing that i could do is make a block of aluminum 6mm thick and cut a gasket plate out of it. Once that 6mm aluminum plate is machined than the piston should travel exactly the same as in the laura case. Hopefully, the aluminum plate could be used when i put the peugeot kit on my laura m48.

Maybe i could just make a 4mm plate and put a 1mm gasket on each side?

I dont even know where i could get a plate that size. Anybody have any ideas?

damn that sucks but ure almost there man, u could get a plate machined from a machine shop out of billet or something it may be expensive but it would work, keep up the good work

www.mcmaster.com

these guys have bulk sheet aluminum in just about any thickness, spendy but worth it. you could probably cut it with a scroll saw or a coping saw, but a jewler's saw would probably be the best thing short of a mill. if i wasnt already swamped with shit, and starting school again, i'd offer to whip one up for you on the mill.

Hit the scrap metal yard, with the Whitesand Missile range nearby you should be able to find aluminum plate with no problem.

how's this project going? Gotten anywhere with it yet?

yeah, i'd like to see an update, or better yet, a blog with pics.

roadent$ craig /

back from the dead. i might be trying something similar this winter..

Tate in Madison /

Just get 3 of those fatty derbi base gaskets.

It would be nice if Bats weren't a total dead end.

some moped factory bat shit is in testing. gotta make sure its 100% before i do a production run

Is that why you want to cut the cdi apart so "mopedfactory" can make a hipro cdi 5pin box.. just curious. That's all.

The 1980 Batavus Mondial came with a factory Pug 103.

The only dead end with that one, is i didn't tighten the clutch nut and it slowly came off and the stater clutch smacked my exhaust and broke off an arm.

Otherwise the bike scares me now, i only bought it 'cuz it had the 103 on it.

Built it nice, write up next week, waiting on clutch shims, and 4 prong thingy.

Shave 3.5mm off the top of a puch kit. Cap the kit's intake port. Open up the m48 case a bit for the cylinder skirt. Your done. Unless you notice how far you can go with opening the reed block, and that a 21mm Puch Metrakit intake bolts right on.

Oops. I guess I let my secrets slip.

come on guys you are not trying hard enough. get with it.

1288975445_image0031.jpg

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

nathan is that a morini m1 gila? i have one of those laying around...

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

also how are you guys' clutches holding up? they're the real reason i never bothered with kitting bats, i thought they'd fly apart instantly- bad assumption?

its a polini, i don't like the w port on the gila. the clutches are doing fine. I haven't run this motor yet but i have another one with a m56 cylinder on it that is a champ.

Bump for awesomeness because I picked up an HS-50 for $60 today !!!!!

I think I am gonna do a full motor swap on it, but this project is on hold until I finish the others.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account