multiple masterlinks on a chain?

hey is this a really bad idea? i think it would convienent to have a section of my chain that i could pull out when i want to gear low. swap the front sprocket and just take 3 links out or something. has anyone done this?

Re: multiple masterlinks on a chain?

I think it'll work, but it gives another chance for the chain to fail. I've had the master link fall off twice.

DONE IT!

works so rad.

*use brand new materlinks, everytime.

Cleats Onionpockets /

Dont worry about it man. As long as as the clip part of it is nice and solid, I'd say go for it.

yeh, whats the worst that could happen...

- chain falls off... you coast to a stop

- chain falls off and highly unlikely, but does lock up your rear wheel... skid to a stop

only problem is you could be without a chain because you lost a master link when it falls off, I always keep one attached to an extra link when I go on a long ride anyway. Do it, especially if you're going like across the country, and bring an extra sprocket, so you can go like 55 when you're on long flats, but then still do 40 when you're in hilly areas after down gearing... seems so obvious I think everyone should do it for a long moped ride

ive use multiple link set ups when i raced speedway, had link sets that i could swap out about 15 teeth taller or lower depending on track size, never had any problems, go for it, but use new chains/links

just what i wanted to hear. i think im going to do this for the bike i bring to sacramento.

as am i

It is the easiest way to re-gear a bike buddy. I have a section of chain that will fit a 13 36 ratio on my rigid and like 10 other small sections that I can add in depending on my gearing. You only need 2 complect chains or one 120 link chain and your set.

The masterlink on any chain is always the weakest link. The more you have the more prone to breakage your chain will be. Granted you would need to be putting some serious power through your bike to even worry about breaking a good chain. Yet those clips come off and with 2 masters you are twice as likely to have that problem.

Worst case scenario... Your chain snapps at full rpm and the chain wips through the flesh in your leg. Just saying it "could happen"

I have seen motorcycle cases that have been shattered or ground apart by a chain when it breaks. They carry a huge amount of potential energy just waiting to be released.

ill second that paz.... ive seen 10,000 dollar race motors destroyed by a broken chain

i have busted wayyy more than my fair share of chains in the past. so far, no gashes on the legs, knock on wood.

thats a great idea, i cant believe i've never thought of it.

i'm kindof surprised Arran hasnt posted yet warning of instant death if you try it.

Good idea.

Just make sure you ALWAYS put the clip on the master links facing the right way or they tend to pop off.

Way back when, Honda and Kawasaki trail bikes came fitted with two sprockets on the rear. If you wanted to change from the road gearing to the trail gearing you opened up the chain and inserted about a 4-6" piece of chain. This, of course, required a second masterlink.

If it is OK with the big boys, it's OK with me.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account