Re: derestricting a moby

match the intake to the cylinder as best you can just don't pull the larger hole u make completely into the cylinder cuz then u r fucking with port timing, basically round the edge so there isn't a wall blocking air.

as for boring out gurtners, 13.5 sounds hardly worth it since u need to drill or use an adapted lawnmower jet to make it work right.

to be honest the 12 mm gurtner and 14mm intake is an excellent combination just leave it if u like stock feel.

i just upgraded my stock moby to a dellorto from the gurtner and its a bit better, the bike tops out over 35 now when the top used to be about 34 with an open gurtner and a mesh screen over it for some restriction. the dellorto is a 16 with a uni filter and a 64 jet a little rich,

porting comming soon, with guide, the goal will be how do u get an usa av7 moby to 40mph without a pipe just porting, jetting and a dellorto, and super low end still.

cant wait elliot!

my 15.15 comes with stock jetting. Should this be fine? I was thinking of ordering three steps lower and three steps higher of jetting just to tinker and get exactly what works best. I know, start rich, go leaner.

-Steve

15.15 usually comes w a 68. Most ppl use a 56-62

"Here":http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Motobecane is the motobecane page in the wiki. It has links to guides for all of the subjects you asking about.

oh wow, 56-62 is lower than I expected. I'll give it a shot, and read up on those links. Thanks

-Steve

one last question, is the airbox that comes with the 15.15 the best I can get for the SHA style, or can I use the higher airflow unifilter or something. Everywhere I've seen them it pretty much specifies them for phbg style. Thanks

-Steve

uni filters can be bouth in sheets of foam, and uni makes a filter the exact size that fits over the sha carbs, i think its 2.25 diamiter filter, not sure, checka motorcycle shop or scooter shop in the filter section.

I love this thread... I'm in the exact same boat... my new 50v came with a busted gurtner - I'm about to order the 15mm intake from qk and 15.15 dellorto. You better believe i'm taking notes...

steve -> Did the back part of your intake have a stain on it where it loos like the intake rectangular hole is smalller than the hole on the cylindr, cuz mines does ...

the drawing is the worst ever, but it gets the point across

1187919301_intake1.jpg

Glad we're in the same boat. Stay in touch via e-mail, we can compare notes. I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Are you talking the stock manifold or the QK manifold? The back end of the QK (where it meets the cylinder) is wider and taller than the stock. Come to think of it, I haven't measured the intake port on the cylinder and the back parts of the intake manifolds. I should do that to have some solid numbers and comparisons. But no, there was no red stain on either manifold. Let me know if that answers your question.

-Steve

I'll take off my intake again and take pics after work today - weather permitting of course, it's been raining off and on here for like 5 days now - I'm having moped withdrawls

any details on that intake? I'm still waiting on my carb...

I am about to do the same thing- SHA 15/15 - but on my motobecane 7. Will the shorty intake from quarterkick still work?

I dunno, I'd ask em. I'm pretty sure you're gonna have to do a little grinding no matter what cylinder you have. I havent heard of anyone who HASNT had to grind. Not a big deal though. Its definitely worth it. Dont have to worry about cables clanking up against the frame, slides right on. I'm gonna port mine soon once I grow some balls.

I don't have a grinder or anything like it, think if I ask it nicely it will work for me?

all you need is a dremel. if you dont have that, some dedication and a metal file would eventually do it. On mine there was no way it could have fit because the top of it hit the fins on the cylinder. Even manners couldn't solve that problem. So either buy a dremel (which is awesome to have around anyways) or spend some quality time with a metal file.

-Steve

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account