PUCH CLATTER AT TOP SPEED

This must be a typical thing with Puchs but does anybody know how to soften or get rid of the clatter at top speed. I have 4 Puchs and they all seem to do it. Some more then others..... Any ideas??

Re: PUCH CLATTER AT TOP SPEED

Cleats Onionpockets /

Up the amount of oil in your mixture, or advance the timing a touch.

Cleats Onionpockets /

At least, advancing the timing is what I did to correct my tapping/clattering. it may not be applicable to your situation. I'd try a bit more oil first.

haven't tried either of those yet. thanks!!

the top end rattle of an old puch is likely to be wristpin movement in the piston, the fit of the bushing on the rod can become loose causing an eliptical motion in the wristpin causing the piston to "waller" out.... makes for a top speed noise i like to call death rattle

death rattle, yeah thats pretty much it! so what do you do when you have death rattle? just change the parts or is there a way to check and see if thats the problem? I've pulled off the head and cylinder. seems to be ok and no obvious play on the piston.

if you pull the piston off, and re insert the wristpin into the bushing...

gram the ends of the wristpin with your fingertips, there should be no movementforward and aft, only left to right (slide motion)

What kind of rattle would cause this.

I'm driving 25mph and when I let off the throttle, just until it reaches 15mph, and still off the throttle, I will hear this click! click! noise until it reaches 5mph.

I've checked piston slap and lower end bearings by using a stethoscope, and nothing.

Could this be the transmission side?

Thanks for any help

LL

Ben Van Zoest /

Show me a Puch that doen't rattle and I show you a dead Puch...

bernard, thats what I assumed when I posted this topic, but Colby has some great tips on things to rule out. My clatter just doesn't seem right. Its like the bike is holding back at about 27 when it should hit a smooth 30. Thanks everybody for their comments.

the exhaust pipe often "pops" upon decelleration?

could this be it? not a problem.

also, it is difficult to tell if bearings are bad while they are still in the case. puts some new ones in if you are unsure.

Ben Van Zoest /

Someone else suggested that before it could be true, rod small end bearing worn, so one time I moved the cylinder forward jammed the piston though the intake hole grabbed the crank arm and felled for bearing play, none...

Than wiggled the flywheel and heard a tick and felled a slight backlash play, had to be the rod crank side bearing.

At least I have a spare small sleeve bearing just in case.

it feels like its in the carb but I guess it could be any of the things y'all mentioned. I haven't had a chance to try much yet. should be able to get to it by the weekend. thanks again!

that is a 'key bang'

fuel inside the crank case and exhaust ignite, it sounds like back-fire pops

Re: COLBY!!! PUCH CLATTER AT TOP SPEED

maybe I described it wrong but it seems to be what Colby described and now I need to change the brass ring that goes around the wrist pin. I guess this should be in the repair forum now but anyways. does anybody have a technic for changing the brass ring. My buddy suggested heating the arm and freezing the ring, then shove it in as fast as possible and still align the hole. Sounds like the best plan without a press of some kind. any other ideas??

Ben Van Zoest /

You can press it out on the ped. It takes a bold with blank shank just fitting in the bearing, some washers the same size, about an 1" bush larger than the new bush dia. and of course a nut.

Some people say use a C-clamp I wouldn't recommend...

Assemble, using the new bush to push out the worn bush into the bigger bushing.. OR find a steel bush at the hardware store this way there's no change of mucking up the new bearing bushing.

Than you got to drill the new bush for oiler holes. Take the wrist pin and make sure it turns freely before attaching the piston.

Because you won't have the correct reamer it may need clean-out use very fine polishig paper wound and glued on a suitable dowel.

Hope this explains the procedure.

nice!! thanks Bernard!!

rob, down here we got the factory puch tool, for pressing it in and out, and also for holding the reamer centered so you can prep the new bushing perfectly, its a bitch, total job done right is about 2 hours, but thats for thousands of bushing trouble free moped miles

i fix my rattle with more oil.

thats like saying i fix the pain in my knee by a shot of whiskey

whiskey usually works for the knee but I wish I had that press. do you know anyone who has one in the bay area? maybe one of the creatures. I'm gonna start asking around.

when the metal plates in the mag flywheel start to come off they can make noise but as the engine increases in RPM centrifugal force forces em back to quite them down. You can epoxy them. You could tin the bronze rod bush on the inside and the ream it. That no lead solder is a lot harder than lead. You can get a adjustable reamer for about $15 but a micrometer would be handy. I am guessing the rod bush to wrist pn fit should be .00025 to .0005 inch.

I need to keep this topic going. I have a deafening rattle and I have to here about from my buddy who has a new scooter.

I have exactly what stevew described. The rattle is from 25 to 30. Once I am over 30, she's humming smoothly.

I would like to know what plates you are talking about though. I am pretty new to peds, so I am having some problems "seeing" what everyone is describing.

tell your buddy to get a moped, and then between the two of you you wont be able to hear anything. I've experienced the same problem with puchs, just ignored it. Wish i knew more about it.

The loose magneto magnet plates would stop rattling at about 5 mph. I didn't realize that what you were describing was so loud. Is everything that rotates like magneto and clutch snugged up tight? Must be out of balance in some way

You should examine the interior of the magneto and the clutch

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account