Idling too high

Im somewhat new to the moped world, and I have gotten a 1978 Puch MKII. After getting a new carb (15mm Bing) it had finally started and ran. My only problem is that it will not just sit and idle. When started it will run all the way up to 25 mph if I do not hold the brakes. It is a 2 speed and I have a proma exaust on it. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get a better idle, because my friend has a 1980 Puch Maxi-Luxe, single speed, and it idles fine. And I have messed with the throttle cable adjustment and the needle height in my carb, it is now in its lowest notch, or whichever makes it more calm. Thanks alot to those who can help.

Re: Idling too high

I t5hink that you messed up the carb assembly.

Take the air filter off and look to see that the slide id going all the way to the bottom.

Also, check your cable adjustment and make a change at the twistgrip if necessary.

Ben Van Zoest /

With the slide at bottom rest, it should show about a penny's thickness gap. The slide should rest on the idle adjust screw.

The cable should have at least 30thou free play adjusted at cable lenght adjuster on the elbow feed-in tube above the carburator.

I have checked my carb according to the 2 replies and it still idles at 25. could it be because it is a 2 speed? I dont know what to do.

it sounds like the cable is pulled out to tight or the throttle assembly is stuck someway. because fast idle sounds like a bent slide, or a bad cable housing

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account