Can I do a 20mm on a stock MB5?

I'm having some problems with my stock Keihin and I'm thinking about switching to a Mikuni VM20 carb with a 20mm MB5 intake on my stock engine. Do you think I could get away with doing that and just jet accordingly, or is that diameter too large for the stock cylinder? The original carb is 16mm.

Thanks.

Re: Can I do a 20mm on a stock MB5?

Go for it, just upgrade the reed and intake as well, and get some jets.

Thanks for the advice. You think it won't bog too much? Carbon fiber reeds?

no way. 20mm is just fine for a mb5. you probably shouldnt go much bigger than that. perkllc has pretty good prices if you are looking for a new intake.

if you ever get a kit you wont need to upgrade your carb either.

Cool. Any tips on what sizes of jets I should get?

BTW, I've just spent the night tearing into my MB5. My tank is way rusty with holes all over the place, so I've decided to go the 'make it as light as possible' route. Kind of inspired by the attached pic and by the way the Madass looks. All industrial and minimalistic. Mine is black, though, so I think it will look cooler than the red one in the picture. I was going to put on some flat bars but after taking my cracked speedo off (in place will be a bike cpu wireless speedo) I was able to flip my stock bars over, tilt them way forward, and, voila-- pseudo Clubman's. Not sure what I'm going to do about the seat. I have a nice stock MB5 seat if anyone wants it.

1187407520_mb539.jpg

what are the wireless cpu's max speed reading? are they accurate? I removed my cluster but would like a speedometer and odometer, not gonna worry about a tach until i get some performance parts.

I just put a $10 bicycle speedo on there- not wireless- and it seems to be pretty accurate. Sold the stock gauges for 150 on ebay a while back...

ive got a stock carb and intak in good condition, i also have a the malossi 4 petal carbon reed setup with the spacer.

I thought wireless speedos don't work on mopeds because of the electromagnetic noise coming off the engine.

Me too, so I stuck with the cheapo wired one. Works great.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account