head gaskets

just wondering about the strength of the moby headgaskets. is it alright to reanneal and normalize them more than once?

Re: head gaskets

I don't know about reannealing them, but I do know that a beer can cut to fit makes an excellent replacement.

-Zack Bandit

You can also use valve grinding compount and lap hone the head and cylinder surfaces together, if the piston dome won't bump the plug without a gasket being there.

I'm not really sure about the beer can. I'm pretty sure that the aluminum alloy in a beer can is much harder than the the aluminum jug and head surfaces. It's doing nothing here but taking up space. A softer aluminum or very malleable brass shim stock would probably be better.

When you remove a head gasket you should be able to see the machining and imperfections of the head imprinted onto the metal - that means it was doing it's job. I doubt you'd see anything like that on a beer can gasket no matter how much you torqued down the head.

i make gaskets out of coke cans and they compress just fine. i see plenty of imperfections.

WariSesi /
OP

geb that is why i am wondering about annealing the used ones.

I've annealed them a few times and it worked just fine. Got a great seal. Make sure not to over-torch it though, it will oxidize if you heat it too much, then it gets warped and doesn't fit well anymore

WariSesi /
OP

i was thinking of getting some copper and making a more permanent one

I second the beer can gasket. It works. It's cheap and easy.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

dont use one.

its not necessary

I didn't know anything about re annealing the gasket, I just put it back on. I'm gonna take it out though and use a beer can gasket, I happen to like canned beer.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account