puch mill head

This has probably been asked before, but what is a good amount to take off the cylinder head for a puch? Also, is it advisable to remove the gasket? I was looking at old posts and it seems to depend on the brand as to whether or not it is safe to do that. I don't know anything about this stuff so I would have it done at an auto place. I saw Napa mentioned.

Re: puch mill head

do it yourself.

get a block and some oil.

Even Figure 8 motion

Mild Job,, measurement reading @ 0.63mm Good for 10 extra PSI, anything more is not really needed for a Stock Carb set up.

Old thread https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/7/30461/30461/

I did that on my scoot, worked great. Even used a concrete block.

- Summerai - Ben /

I don't understand how you measure that. That looks to me like you're measuring the diameter, but I know you're not. =/

Also you say .63mm is good for a stock carb set up. Would you recommend something different for a 15mm carb, 14mm intake, high flow airfilter and biturbo?

taking off the gasket alone will improve torque.

My bad,, stock carb to me is, 12,14,15mm bings

you measure the "lip edge" on the Dome.

Taking it down to the fins won't cause any problems

- Summerai - Ben /

is that what the mosquito fleet usually does steve?

Are you serious steve?..!

That seems like far more than 3 thousandths of an inch.

- Summerai - Ben /

how thick is the base gasket? I sanded the head down but I didn't have anyway of measuring it, so I just compared it to the base gasket. The gasket is now thicker than the lip. I left the gasket on there when I put the head back on. I don't know if I notice a difference but it did make my idle higher, so I guess that it did do something.

yep and more

Sand away. If the piston hits the head you can use a gasket or dremel away the area that hits the piston and sand some more. Get wild

- Summerai - Ben /

lol... alright. I will sand it down to the fins then I guess.

i am probably the only fleet member who doesn't do that, I say a lathe is much more accurate, I have some magnum heads and low torque maxi heads that I have turned down 25 thousandths and more,

never run gaskets, or at least nothing more than the paper thin aluminum

i am gonna mill mine and get freaky with it- going to get as close to the spark plug as possible and see what happens- i well let ya know-

As far as putting the head back on after this operation and removal of the head gasket, what the correct proceedure and torque specs for those head bolts? Any tricks?

oops, i went a little to overboard and now the piston hits the head- so now i must go at it again and slightly bevel the inner edge- lets hope this works or i may have to get a new head-

- Summerai - Ben /

make sure you run a more oily mixture after that. I forgot and ran 50:1 and seized. :(

what would you suggest for the oil ratio after the mill job?

- Summerai - Ben /

I have no idea obviously. lol. But you can rule out 50:1 ... dammit

i think that i overdid this- now the piston hits the head- i have to go back to the mill and shave a little around the edge now- but will it still work- is the chamber to small???

1180318387_dscn1447.jpg

don't mean to steal your thunder, but that head doesnt look very flat?

the head is flat- that is just the flash catching the sanding angles- but i did find that i have little pox of sorts that seem to have been air bubbles in the original cast- hmm... hopefully these little things won't cause any trouble-

as long as the bubbles arnt in the actual combustion chamber it should be ok...you could probably fill them if you really wanted to

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account