Transmission Leak: Too much?

I've noticed that lately my transmission on my Tomos LX will be over-flowing onto the chain via the breather. However, I only fill the transmission case up to the fill-hole in the side of the motor.

I also notice that when I do fill it up to the hole, the transmission tends to slip a little and I get some vibration between shifts.

If I let the motor warm up and pull the fill-hole on level ground A LOT of transmission fluid comes out (because it's slightly expanded due to the heat).

After this, the bike runs a lot better, shifts better, and over-all rides better. Now, what's the minimal amount of oil that can be run in an A35?

I've heard of guys running about 60cc's of fluid in there and having no problems at all. I realize that the less lubrication there is, the more chance of clutch-wear and gear-wear... however the more fluid I use, the shittier the performance.

What's the happy medium?

I always use Type F transmission fluid (Advance-Auto stuff.. no fancy Mobil 1 or anything).

Thanks for the help

Dan

Re: Transmission Leak: Too much?

Jason Luther /

does it get to a certain level and stop leaking?

Dan;

I'd let it blow out till it stopped and run it ..

What does your Owners Man. say about it ?

Jeff

i would take off the cover and inspect for damage, that may be your source of vibration, also ispect the clutches, if one is warped or not working right, get a new one

John Joedicke /

Breather, what breather? Something you have added? 300 ml is the amount and let drain down while bike is upright on both wheels.

the tranny fluid coming out onto the chain is tomos' automatic chain oiler. every one of their 80's to newer mopeds is built with it, that is why you'll have a lot of gunk on your back rim and fender. i also notice that my trans works better with less than the normal amount of fluid in it, who knows whats right and whats wrong, only what works

Jason Luther /

there is no automatic chain oiler, just a leak

I'm not a moron.... I did not "add" a breather, nor is there an auto-chain oiler.

If you take off the motor sprocket there is a small hole towards the top of the case, it is a breather.

Now that the obvious has been covered. There's still a leak. I changed my fluid again and it's still happening. Fill it to the fill hole... let it run... drain out the excess when it's warm... and boom... still leaking.

Pissing me off.

Dan

If it stop leaking then you know your running low. Fill her up.

Vibration is caused by two things...

1. The viscosity of the fluids that you are using could cause a harmonic vibration at higer rpm shifts, you could try switching to a less thick fluid.

2. Unbalanced parts. You could have some unusual wear somewhere in your motor and this could cause some minor vibrations that could be a potential problem down the line.

Or...... you are almost out of fluid, as stated above. Drain, Change, Repeat.

is the breather clogged? if its plugged then the pressure will force out leaks.

My Tomos seems to leak around the pedal shafts. There is a lot of play there, and I think the bushings are worn out. Are these bushings replacabe, or are they just part of the case? If I can replace them, I'm going to pull the motor off and replace the bushings and seals. Tired of cleaning off my back wheel.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account