How do you remove the baffel on a puch exhaust?

Hi. I was wonnering how to remove the stock baffel on a puch maxi exhaust.

Re: How do you remove the baffel on a puch exhaust

Take the nut off of the end of it, undo the nut and bolt on the mount, and then slide it off.

Well i did that but the baffel is stuck and wont come out. Its been in there for 26 years.

Patrick Mattison /

slide the exhaust on and off, what i'm saying is use the threaded pole that holds the baffle in to beat the baffle out.

Thanks i will give it a try.

Will the ped be super loud after that is out or not. Also how will the the muffler stay on with out that baffle in there to screw down to.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

it will be super loud, I dont know what he wants to do with no baffle

my baffel is all clogged up. I rather have a loud moped than a crappy running ped untill my proma circuit exhaust comes in along with my speed kit.

umm.... clean it and put it back so you'll have a quiet, good-running ped.

use the end of a wooden broom handle that slides thru header end and give a few pops up and down, baffle should slide right out.

taking of the baffle from a puch is not a good idea. I tried it, it was just a bunch of noise and it reduces performance. I even think it makes your ped run leaner. take it of with a broomhandle and pour oileater or superclean on it and rinse it of.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Maybe it will give you a litle bit more speed but not much and the torq will be less.

i would think you would lose back pressure, which would essentially lower your compression and make it run leaner.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

IMO It is not the backpressure from the muffler but the shape of the expansion chamber that reflect the sound waves that give a superchager effect to 2-strokes. Here are some links. Jim

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/em-pipes.html

A complicating factor here is that changes in the shape of the tube cause reflections, or changes, in the sound waves: Where the section of the tube grows in diameter, there will be sound waves reflected back towards the start of the tube. These waves will be the opposite of the original waves that they reflected from, so they will also be negative pressure waves. Aha! The next important discovery was made--by gradually increasing the diameter of the tube, a gradual, more useful negative wave could be generated to help scavenge, or pull spent gasses out of, the cylinder.

http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/tunedpipetheory2.htm

If you take the exhaust off slide the main off and take a broom handle and stick that in and tap on it until the baffle comes out that is what I did to both my puch newport and my puch murray safer then using the exhaust you do not have to worry about wrecking it.

Bob

OK how many of you has spit there baffle out on the side of the road cause that nut stripped off ?

Hey Bob

Dang that was easy , I've been using all sorts of stuff to pull those out (L-bar on a slide hammer) for years - Duh... Anyway for everyones viewing pleasure here's a baffle. Can't tell but the gasket appears to be made of leather forced into a groove - neat . I used to drill out the holes a couple of sizes ,upjet , bore the stock carb and drill extra 1/4inch holes 90 degrees to the original in the head pipe and to the exhaust outlet (lil bitty pipe ) Wasn't obnoxiously loud at all . Worked great . Just pulled a pipe from an old Trac for the head pipe (larger in diam than Puch ,Yes it mounts on the other side) welded on a flange ,connected a stock muffler without a baffle BUT used a cone I machined from aluminum instead. Interesting exhaust experiment (got the idea from my tuned pipe on my model airplane) The cone is designed to slide up and down inside the stock muffler . Too cool . I was getting noticeable powerband movement - as the cone was pushed in (shorter muffler quicker wave reflection)- ridden vs pulled all the way to the end and ridden . Accelleration , lowend ,topend and idle was all affected . Then again this could be due to just a bored out carb flowing more efficient at a certain RPM. Gotta rig something up to allow me to move the reflection cone while I'm moving .,..... stay tuned (no pun intended)

1160886817_dsc03272.jpg

I reposted this so everyone could see the baffle pic next to a stock Puch and Trac muffler :

Hey Bob

Dang that was easy , I’ve been using all sorts of stuff to pull those out (L-bar on a slide hammer) for years – Duh… Anyway for everyones viewing pleasure here’s a baffle. Can’t tell but the gasket appears to be made of leather forced into a groove – neat . I used to drill out the holes a couple of sizes ,upjet , bore the stock carb and drill extra 1/4inch holes 90 degrees to the original in the head pipe and to the exhaust outlet (lil bitty pipe ) Wasn’t obnoxiously loud at all . Worked great . Just pulled a pipe from an old Trac for the head pipe (larger in diam than Puch ,Yes it mounts on the other side) welded on a flange ,connected a stock muffler without a baffle BUT used a cone I machined from aluminum instead. Interesting exhaust experiment (got the idea from my tuned pipe on my model airplane) The cone is designed to slide up and down inside the stock muffler . Too cool . I was getting noticeable powerband movement – as the cone was pushed in (shorter muffler quicker wave reflection)- ridden vs pulled all the way to the end and ridden . Accelleration , lowend ,topend and idle was all affected . Then again this could be due to just a bored out carb flowing more efficient at a certain RPM. Gotta rig something up to allow me to move the reflection cone while I’m moving .,..... stay tuned (no pun intended)

1160921917_dsc03272.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account