honda express *make it faster*

i have a 1977 honda express all original. it does about 28 stock but i know it will go faster speedo says 35 i was wondering how i can get it to go faster with out making it louder. or any welding...i have no way to weld it is there anything i can do..i have a picture in my profile of the bike.. i just want this bike to go to its for potental.

Re: honda express *make it faster*

Sell it. Buy a tomos or Puch. There may be speed kits, but I havn't noticed any. That may also be because I never looked. Just be careful, I hear that humans start to get dizzy and light headed at anything over 32mph. Good Luck.

lol thats not true. cars go faster than 32 mph

A good source for info on hopping up Honda Express mopeds is on the website expressly mopeds, at least that is what I think it is called. I found on the links page of moped army. They are dedicated to fixing the Honda Express. The "Moped Whiz" knows his stuff! There are a lot of little tricks that can be done to any engine on the site. Better wheel bearings, timing advances, take a less restrictive exaust(like:bi-turbo,bullet, even some pocket bikes) and weld it to fit the express header, less restrictive airbox, and all kinds of stuff. I have thought about using a bike I have as a test bike since I want to do some porting but it is way down on my priority list. If I want to go fast, I jump on my street bike. I don't need pedals to be happy, just two wheels! Let me know what you find if you experiment.

I am restoring 2 Express SR's for a guy right now. Both have a 70cc metrakit on them. One has a polini(?) pipe and it only does 31....thats IT. The other has a stock exhaust and it only does 29.

now that's what you call restricted, sheesh what a wasted pipe.

howzabout you get a port job on the cylinder jug, bore out the carb as well?

Chris Mullins /

anyone got a pipe that will fit a honda nc50? even a stock one?

Tha guy that posted the 'Porting for Dummies' in here a couple months ago got 40MPH from one of his Expresses by porting it and installing a long pipe. I've replaced those cheasy carbs already (with one from a motorized bike kit) and achieved 32MPH.

1135802650_yellowexpress5.jpg

Chris Mullins /

yeah 32mph would work. how much do the carbs usely run? and do i need any adapter peices?

There are some auctions on eBay for these:

http://search.ebay.com/motorized-bike-carb_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

I get mine for the same price from Mike @ Simsonmotorbikes.com. You need the 48-60cc version. It has a smaller jet than the 70-80cc carbs. They mount right on with a little tephlon tape (despite some tilt). Check my photo in the post above. I wouldn't be opposed to trying a Bing or Delorto carb if you have one lying around.

I have a 78 express.

Part of the problem with making them faster is that they were really not designed to go faster.

This was also built while Jimmy Carter was presedent.

Do you really want to put your life in the hands of something that old going that fast.

28 MPH is good for that Scooter. Treat it nice. It's an old fella.

You wanna go fast, buy something designed to. The brakes and the tires will be more suited and you're less likely to get hurt as a result.

Mike

Chris Mullins /

i have a 77 express.....and i know for a fact it used to do 32-34 mph. and thats almost top speed on the speedo. i was just wondering if there is anthing i should be doing . that i might need to......is there a lighter oil i can use in the trans...maybe adjusting the carb a bit or the muffler.....i got this ped running after sitting for 15 years. is there a better carb i can buy? does someone know a better gap for the spark plug....i will do anything to get at least 4 more mph outa this bike. im getting some parts from jeff on the buy/sell forum from a 82 (i think its an 82 im not sure). guys im just trying to get this ped back too as close to original as i can. i wanna give it too my son when he grows up. i love mopeds. but im the only one in my area with a moped and this is the only place where i can actually talk about it.

I wanted to be faster just I don’t want the car behind the wait at least 30 miles speed limit or 35 did I need to change the carburetor or the muffler ?

No idea what you are asking. Also this thread is 16 years old.

Make your own thread asking how to tune up an express. Changing the carb or exhaust won't do shit except destroy your engine if you don't know what you are doing.

Jack Rutherford /

Raising threads from the dead. I like it. Salyers with the 2005 post even! You can make the Express fast but it will kill your low end. So you’d just be trading problems.

Jesse Nordlander /

HObbit Proma circuit pipe is an easy install.

Any hobbit cylinder kit bolts on with some grinding of fins.

Our hobbit has vm20, Athena 70, Proma, and more. It rips from 15-35, will eventually pass 45 but is past the pipes range, and single speed.

I recommend investing effort in something else

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account