Tomos Streetmate Tweaks

Okay, heres the deal. I bought my new Tomos Street-mate and it only goes 25-28 stock. I heard that some other people got their Tomos Street-mate to get going at 40mph stock with just a few tweaks. In the future I am purchasing a BI-Turbo exhaust which I am hoping will increase the performance and overall speed of my moped. All I need are some educated people to help tell me and explain how to do some tweaks so I can go racing :)

Thanks,

Brad

Re: Tomos Streetmate Tweaks

I think there was quite a good discussion about this in the 'General' forum.

Try a search there.

call Ike's bikes

I bought one of the first streetmates off of Ike. Ike and I have been working on my bike to get it to go faster. If you put on a 24 tooth rear spocket you will go about 36-38mph on the flat with no wind. You can also put on a 22 tooth gear which then you can go 38-40mph.

Brad Chaney /

Thanks man, and yeah I will buy a 22 toothed sprocket, but for now if there anything I can do to "unrestrict" my Streetmate.

There is nothing you can do to make your streetmate go faster other than gears unless you install an airsal kit which is what I did. Once you change to the kit then and only then can you use other a35 performance parts. The a55 has a different bend in the exhaust pipe so the normal pipes will NOT fit. Ike and I cut and fit a tecnagas next pipe onto a stock a55 with a 24 tooth gear and it did not run any better than the stock pipe.

Brad Chaney /

So, what should I do to increase my speed? Can I take some engine restricions off? I mean I need help and everyone is telling me different.

Change gears or kit it thats your chooses. I have tried different things to my streetmates and the above is it as I know it for now. There are no restrictions to take off. The a55 engine is running at 7400 rpms at 30mph. The a35 engine bikes at 30 mph are only running 5200 rpms and thats why they will run faster if you put a performance pipe on them.

Timmy Southpark /

well dont say never. theres mods you can do to the stock engine. just most are a bit advanced for a novice.

like what?

WOW, that many RPM's!! That sounds like mine at 50 mph... well maybe it was cranking more, but that thing should ssccrreeaammm!!!! I can't imagine an A-55's stock power: just over 3 horsies from what I hear... stock!! What size front sprocket are on them?

Stock front gear is a 26 tooth just like all regular tomos mopeds. the stock rear gear is a 31 tooth. I put the 31 tooth gear on with my kitted engine and could go 39mph at 9600 rpms.

Timmy Southpark /

well there are boost bottles, you can port and polish, mill, etc.... theres tons of stuff you can do to a stock motor.

Brad Chaney /

I need help! Someone tell me how to unrestrict my moped without buying anything for now! :(

Tomos Streetmate Tweaks

Brad Chaney /

Right. :(

If what i read is correct, that bike is not artificially restricted.. and if you don't want to spend money, you're gonna have to do it the hard way. The hard way is to modify things within the limits of the stock carb, engine and exhaust.

Carburetors can be bored out. The entire intake passage must be modified accordingly. The cylinder ports may be enlarged to some degree in certain directions... and in addition maybe some other serious cutting will help things.

Effective exhaust mods are tough if you have a stock muffler system.. There's not a lot you can do if exhaust is restricted, and those other modifications that help the engine breathe better might even be totally wasted when they hit the exhaust bottleneck..

so it kinda comes down to how much do you know about 2-strokes, about porting.. and what sorts of machines and tools are available and what kind of mechanical skills do you have.

that stock exhaust has got to go. Modifying it only produced a 1 mph gain. The closest thing is to get a Revival Biturbo and cut out a notch on the back of the header pipe at the flange, then beat the flange down and sew it up with a new weld there

No disrespect to anyone but if all we had to do was look into the past the future would never arrive. As in " Just do a search" cause it's already been discused before. What a lazy pat ,non awnser. Kripes just about everything has been discused at this point. If all of us had perfect recall we would need only about 2% of this forum. Point is while the search is good ( I've read it all the way back ) It gives no one on one or uniqueness of a question in point.

While I could be off a bit I deceided against the streetmate for several reasons, a 49cc motor and the street heavy plastic garbage packed onto it to make it look good but rattels like crazy. Different motor than a5 or a35. A weighted down bike with no more HP than a targa.

Someone please correct me and say I did the wrong thing by getting a Targa lx for 400$ less money. Does 40mph on an adverage day (Stock engine, but bullet exhaust) and still get 80 mph per gal with a reserve that actually works for more than 3 miles.

Lots of people (especially regular users) find the search function to be both more convenient, more informative and faster than posting a question. Another benefit is you get 'responses' from people who are no longer around or are not around right now.

If someone suggests a search it can be for reasons other than a lazy non-answer. Perhaps they recall the thread but are unsure of or forget exactly what the answer is.. As you yourself point out: "If all of us had perfect recall..."

If i see a question like "What kinda lube goes in this bike's gearbox", either I will have to search it out or the questioner will have to wait for someone who knows..

Suggesting a search to someone who is obviously not aware of the large volume of archives and the easy access to them is better than both options, imho.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.. Teach a man to fish... etc.

Michael Zilliox /

I have to defend the Streetmate here. It is indeed a heavier bike, and does have a lot of (good looking) plastic on it. A LX may be less expensive and likely faster stock and kitted, but three things made it the right choice for my wife: Refinement - the motor is very smooth compared to an A35 due to carburation upgrades, different porting and crank design. Looks - to each his own, but this bike looks cool. It has a lot more presence than a traditional moped (don't flame me, I ride a Cobra), and feels much more substantial. Safety - front disk brake stops like a mc, tall riding position for visibility, bright lights via 12v system for communication, and plenty of bling bling chrome so the cagers don't miss you... now only if this thing had a fuel gauge...

Yes it does have some good featuers.

I wish they would offer the other models with front disc brakes.

grip writes:

"No disrespect to anyone but if all we had to do was look into the past the future would never arrive. As in " Just do a search" cause it’s already been discused before. What a lazy pat ,non awnser."

Grip -

In the 3 or 4 threads that show up in a search for 'Streetmate' in the General forum there are 90 or so posts , many with links to Ikes Bikes, MRA, ond so on.

If you think I should have read them all, followed all the links and posted 20 links here, then I am indeed lazy.

Keep in mind, though, that I am not the one that desperately wants to tweak his Streetmate,

Don't forget, the Streetmate is the same platform as a Revival therefore only having a .8 gal fuel supply. a TTLX has 1.5 gallon, even the lowly Sprint has a 4 liter/ a little over a gallon tank. As far as 12v lighting , they all have that so the only gain you get over a traditional model is a DC horn which although louder doesn't justify slowly turning a fine powerplant into a Sachs

John Joedicke /

TTLX tank has a 4 litre tank(1 US gallon) and .5 litre reserve(1 US pint)

Well in my 2005 Tomos streetline catalog it tells many specs. about the bikes. Here are the differecences between the LX and Streetmate:

Tomos LX: 12mm dell'orto 14-12P, Chain (90 rollers), Drum brakes(105 mm) front & back, 2.25-16 size tires front & back, 42.5 Wheelbase, 64.5 length, 30.5 seat height, 119 lbs (dry), 1.06 gallons fuel capacity, 0.16 oil tank capacity, 220lbs carrying capacity

Tomos Streetmate: dell'orto 14mm PHVA, chain( 103 rollers), front disc(203mm) & rear drum (105mm), front tire 2.25-17 & rear tire 3.25-16, 47" wheelbase, 72" length, 31" seat height, 143lbs dry weight, 0.92 gallon fuel capacity, 0.2 oil capacity, 300lbs carrying capacity

In relation to the engines, they are both the alike other than the carb difference. Other wise the streetmate is 24 lbs. heavier than the LX but the streetmate can handle a larger carrying capacity. So it all equals out in some way.

My apology to Cyberian and the group for this remark last week. "No disrespect to anyone but if all we had to do was look into the past the future would never arrive. As in " Just do a search" cause it’s already been discused before. What a lazy pat ,non awnser."

I got home late that night and had had too much holliday eggnog and burbon. Guess I was just feeling crabby. Cyberian gives good advice and I was out of line. Sorry Cy. Now that I,ve pried my foot loose from my mouth I intend to catch up on the good postings I've missed here this week.

That gas tank readout doesn't seem accurate, i know my lx can hold at least 1 1/2 gallons and my friend with a streetmate says it only holds .7 even after using that annoying release valve. Thats really his only gripe with the bike...no fuel capacity at all, he says he only gets 50 or so miles to the tank..Good news is he keeps a cool looking aluminum 1/2 or so gallon of gas in his COMPARTMENT BOX, yes its what everyone has been waiting for, a gigantic compratment box.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account