fa 50 top speed is now 20 help!!

MY SUZUKI FA 50 STARTS BOGGING DOWN AT ABOUT 20 MPH ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Re: fa 50 top speed is now 20 help!!

i suggest you provide some details.. and hit your cap lock key one more time.

i had that problem ... i replaced the top end and now it works like a charm topping out at 41

Robert Fosdick /

THIS ONE RUNS LIKE A CHAMP AT HALF THROTTLE BUT AS SOON AS I HIT 20 AND TRY TO GO PAST HALF THROTTLE IT BOGS DOWN THEN THE ENGINE WILL REV A LITTLE THEN BOG DOWN AGAIN.

Robert Fosdick /

I FIGURED IT OUT CHUNKY BITS IN MY CARB

You might want to check your gas tank, air filter, and fuel filter then, if gunk gets in your carb it has to come from somewhere...

There's no stock fuel filter, but it would be a good idea to add one. Might want to take the tank out and give it a good cleaning and maybe replace all the fuel lines with new, clear fuel lines. Sure makes it easier to tell if fuel is going where it should. Would only cost a few $s.

Robert Fosdick /

yep i am taking everything apart and cleaning/rebuilding

on my fa50 i found some chunks from the air filters so i threw the air filter out, can i get a check list of things to do to make it run faster ?

i had the same problem with my moped and i rebuilt the carb and it ran a little bit better but still had the same excact problem so i got a new ignition coil and it runs great now.

Yeah. The electrics are rarely talked about. People assume if it's getting spark everything is o.k. But, like you said it may still need improving. I'm about to get a "spark improver" which I hope isn't a gimmick. I'll probably post something about it once I see how well it works.

Robert Fosdick /

i took apart the carb and cleaned it out real good. sometimes there is a glaze on all the carb parts. i get rid of that with a cleaner. brake cleaner works good.

the exhaust is critical mine was clogged, so i hit it with a hammer (not hard enough to dent it) and let the loose stuff fall out and blasted it with compressed air.

buckaroo bob did a cool thing with his exhaust, he added a expansion chamber.

i also took off my head and cleand it with a wire brush. i then shaved a little off the top of the cylinder to give it better compresion. this is machine work, but i did it with a grinder and a flat file. if you are not experienced i would not suggest doing it this way, for i have messed a couple up in my early day's

i also boered a little bit out of the carb. if you do this do not mess with the needles. the object is to allow the motor to suck more air.

i dont run an air filter. this is contraversial, but i run a screen to keep out the big stuff.

the electrical system is very important, though i have not messed with mine yet.

my freind is running a coil from a car. it works great,i'll see how he rigged it up.

i did see replacement exausts somewhere on the web. i think this may be a large part of your problem.

another thing that slows people down is simply improper brake adjustment and bad bearings. i know this sounds silly, but i have worked on many bikes where the problem was just misadjusted brakes.

And tire inflation is important. Do the max and maybe a little more....esp if you don't weigh over 170 lbs or so. Keep that fuel clean with an in-line fuel filter for $3.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account