water cooling

it seems like heat is a two strokes worst enemy and air is such a bad conductor of heat and thats how all our mopeds are cooled. what about water cooling, we could keep the heat way down so our revs could go up and there for have a sweet sound and some higher speed due to it. i was wondering if anyone has ever tried to retrofit some type of a water cooling device onto their moped, this is what i have in mind, forget the water pump i considered using simple convection as a method of pumping the water simply but putting the heat exchange(radiator) above the head so that the hot water will rise and cool water will sink down to replace it and continue the circuit. the circuit would be a loop of say something like easily bent copper tubing that would possible fit between the fins of the cylinder and just make a "loop" around the whole engine back to the radiator. or even remove the fins or mill a cylinder that could take water cooling. ive been thinking about a valve that would allow water to go one way so that the water will move around the circuit but im not sure if that would work as i think or not. well there is my idea someone tell me if i am totally wrong or what you think

Re: water cooling

Water-cooling is a good idea especially in hot areas but require longer warm-ups and adds a lot of weight so any performance gain is lost because of that. Unless you live in the desert, air-cooling is fine. Look at the old Beatles and Porches, they were air-cooled and didn't suffer w/ to many over-heating problems.

Scott Joyce /

yah i understand that it might be suffiicient for just cruising but an engine making more horsepower is most likely creating more heat, and if you can keep an engine cool you can probly take a 50 cc engine past 10k rpm if you keep the crank balanced. and it would possible add 10 lbs at the most and i believe it would be less. and no im not saying you would gain performance so much as just being able to keep the engine cool if you wanted to say add nitrous and be able to attain higher rpm.

Zack Guiliano /

your not going to be able to at nitrous to any 50cc moped.

You can, but not much. Otherwise head flies off.

Well, I am confident, now that we have someone willing to machine parts, that I could design a clamshell for the motor on a puch. (specifically, my 2 spd 2 hp newport)... BUT is it even worth it? I mean, you wouldnt need much of a water pump, something from like a battery powered fountain would work fine (any water-pump really as long as it takes DC for batteries), but is the enhanced cooling really worth it?

man, 50cc sells that whole kit for water cooling the Minarelli. Water pump that replaces the fan, radiator and 70cc head and jug.

-Angus

Zack Guiliano /

the 50cc engine on a moped will not be able to handle nitrous, it would get wrecked, stock cars cant even handle nitrous well how could a moped take it.

Scott Joyce /

yes if the engine was actually cooled why would it not be worth it, because like i said with cooler operating temps means possibility of a higher rev limit because the idea that the heat will sieze the engine is taken care of. and yes not much nitrous but some even just a tiny shot would not only be faster but how cool would it be to have working nitrous on a moped but even if you just did a small amount you would take the engine to very high rpm where it will be producing a large amount of heat from friction that could spell disaster for the engine but wait its got a retrofited water cooling device that will keep the engine from burning up. amd to address the issue of the head flying off i have a friend who is studying to be an electrical engineer and he has friends who are mechanical engineers and some way we might have connections to them milling a stronger thicker head which i could tap out the stud holes and put larger holes in their place and use stronger hardware to hold the head down. tell me what you think, am i dreaming or somewhat down to earth

Scott Joyce /

why do you think that a moped could not even take the smallest fraction of nitrous, you are right its a small engine but it wont take much to notice a difference. yah stock cars get smashed because people try to throw the largest shot of nitrous on them without anything else done and the engine just blows up. i dont want to just make this thing a rocket just hit it on acceleration to smoke any other moped.

Here's one problem: where is the bottle going to mount? I suggest mixing your gas w/ Nirtomethane instead (dragsters use this and get tramendous gains in power w/ it) but only do it at 75% gas and 25% Nitromethane otherwise your engine will literally blow up. Also, you have to find a way to compensate for the drag from the water pump and some how get a reliable electrical connection to make a fan work if you radiator doesn't get sufficient air (behind the wheel won't work because the tire blocks the air. The Harley V-Rod had the same problem) or do what Harley did, make scoops w/ fins on them.

Stefan Chivu /

My SOLO moped came with liquidcooling from the factory, even if it is a relative old sistem since it is build in 1977.

1087838001_1976_solo_2.jpg

what about that cooling kit for the minarelli? where? how much?

Fede Berkelaar /

I believe that it's made for a different type of Minarelli engine, probably a 90's scooter or so.

oh...

im having sorta the same plan, but i don't think i wouldn't use nitrous, i was thinking maybe using a different fuel altogether though, gasohol, propane, something new... RC nitro would be completely impractical but fun... if it could be done.

You just replied to a six and a half year old thread.

We really need to find a way to communicate better....

Not that there aren't three opened posts last week about water cooled kits....

Really?! Whos running this place? Not I?

PS

Im a lazy f, I only am good a dictating......

Get on with the fixing!

Performance Tuning with sub categories.....

Water cooled, Air cooled, Not Cooled....

Puch, Sachs,ect......

This place should be a maze by now.....

Front page.... you are Here......

Links to Treats,1977,Warehouse(just because they were here since the beginnings, Lol...okay maybe not, but stilll......)

Oh, what about Performance Moped Picture Directory by Model...?

Stock Pics? Modded Pics? Top Speed? RPMs? Does this fly or float in water?

Im sure this will all be forgotten.....

This is how it's done:

loling

I like your Super Modified... nice Puch too...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account