Remove Puch rear hub and freewheel

So, stripping my five star rims for painting. Got the front one done removing the hub and all. The rear one has me a bit confused. I got the screws out of the rim and the big sprocket off. Two things left is the hub doesn’t want to budge off the rim and I think I need to get the freewheel off to fit removing the hub through anyways. Plus I think the bearings need cleaning in that freewheel too.

12020C97-519B-483F-96CD-AB1A46C6C1BF.jpeg

So, first, wondering if I just need to really wack it with a rubber mallet to free it, and second Is the freewheel. I saw a freewheel removal tool on treats but it was like $45. Is there a cheaper tool to do it? Couldn’t find a video exactly on this. Thanks as always guys for the input!

Re: Remove Puch rear hub and freewheel

Mike McScoutington /

I’ve always just used a screw driver and a nail set. You could also see if a bike shop can pop it off for a few bucks.

Bryan Mohney /

So, confirming, the "ring" with the two notches turns counter clock-wise to remove? Like in my pic below?

stuff.jpg

So, that's why the tool "fits" those two notches? (edited)

The two little holes on the sprocket is where you want to grab it to remove it. A spanner wrench is used for that. Park tools makes a good one for bicycles that works perfect for these. Or you can also use what is called a chain whip. Park tools also makes those.

I had bought the MLM tool for my sprocket but it was a little too pricey and pretty much only works for this style of wheel as it is not adjustable.

Bryan Mohney /

I'm seeing this Park tool called a Pin Spanner. I'm thinking this would work. Says it can support holes from 10 mm to 45 mm, which outside dimension is 40mm on the Puch. Cheaper than the $45 tool from treats.

stuff.jpg

Bryan Mohney /

Also read about a guy who got this tool a wrench can attach to, but I'd have to grind off 2 of the numbs. They're spanned 40 mm apart which is good. Might be more leverage than the pin spanner, if it's tight to get off

stuff.jpg

Got an old socket you could adapt to fit ?

Or a piece of flat stock and a couple of bolts in the right places .

Or simply a piece of flat stock trimmed to fit .

Always more than one way around a bush . ;)

Bryan Mohney /

@pdcomm - I like your thinking here. I tried a few make-shift options but still haven't got it off. I think I need to get / fabricate something that gets deeper in the notchs for more leverage. I like your bolts through the flat stock idea, or if all else fails, get a more formal tool.

The sucker is cemented on though. Tried spraying some penetrating oil around it to see if I can loosen things before trying again. Doubt it has ever been removed since mfg in 1980...

Bryan Mohney /

Sweet, thanks Jay!

Mike McScoutington /

That HF pin wrench is kind of garbage, and I don’t think it will have enough reach. I have one, and it honestly feels like it wants to snap changing the disc on my angle grinder.

If you have a bench vise clamp the axel in that and use a nail set to slowly tap around. If you’re doing this much work To clean up these wheels you should replace the freewheel too. They are like $15-20 at a bike shop.

Yeah he harbor freight stuff is cheap, but that is the same type I have. I will double check that it has enough reach for the sprocket. It is most likely the reason I dropped the cash on the MLM one. That and I had that pandemic money at the time.

Bryan Mohney /

Ok, I need hopefully one more help tip on this disassembly…. I got a 40mm 4 notch removal tool, ground off two notches and fits like a glove! I put the axle back in and fit it on and tried using a wrench to loosen it. I tried force and even tried hitting the wrench with a rubber mallet. It’s just not budging…. Below is a pic of my setup.

5264E581-F5CB-4798-9654-F28BDAC044CF.jpeg

As I look at the flywheel I’m doing lefty loosy… Im thinking I might need to hit the wrench with a hammer or something next, but nervous about damaging it. Any thoughts? Am I doing this wrong?

No that’s all correct. They are tight as hell on there most times. Penetrating oil can help, breaker bar hit with deadblow hammer is usually pretty effective

Bryan Mohney /

Alright, thanks for confirming! I saw another thread where they used a torch to help too.

Holy bagoly.

Ok hang on there brother. There's two ways to go about this that are way easier than the struggle you're having. But for what it's worth, freewheels are super cheap and worth replacing in this situation anyway.

Option one: those two dots spin the bearing cover off and it's reverse threaded. You can literally use just a screw driver and a hammer to bop it free I'm one strike. Then it will spin right off. At that point bearings go flying everywhere and the gear falls right off. What you're left with is the inner part which is still threaded to the hub. From there, stick that part in a vice and turn the whole wheel like a big pirate ship wheel and it spins clean off. Then simply replace with a new one.

Option 2: we did design these super elegant free wheel removal tools which give you lots of leverage or you can use the other kind but I suggest using a seat post on your ratchet for leverage. Sometimes they're a son of a bitch but if you have a friend, hold the wheel and set your ratchet about 6 inches from the ground and simply have your friend stand on it gently and it will break free instantly. Usually what I do is use the mlm tool BEFORE taking the tires off so I have a bit more grip, then simply sit on the couch, hold the wheel and put my foot on the bar and wham, freewheel off.

Option 3?: you can also set the tool you have on a vice, and spin the wheel, can't think of why that wouldn't get it off in about 3 seconds.

operator error 696 420 /

Weld something on to it and when you weld it on everything gets really fucking hot!

Piece of flat steel, vice.

Use the wheel as the leverage.

Bryan Mohney /

Guys, the freewheel is off! I used the vice with the tool and the wheel for leverage tip, thanks! I still can’t get the hub off from the frame. This is getting a bit silly to still be struggling. It wiggles as you can see me doing in the second pic below. Is there anything else I need to remove to get it off the wheel?

52313647-C659-4AF7-9C85-3D27FDBF4D78.jpeg
C68117E9-1729-4280-B826-43DEC1576D2A.jpeg

Probably Fred /

If you could rock it you could see whats holding it, it’s called a roll pin, knock it out with a punch, make sure you save it to put it back in.

751FB075-0C04-4DEB-9007-0A0FA8906FD3.jpeg

Bryan Mohney /

Didn’t really know what that was, just punch’d it out and it’s off!!

74E13413-BCF3-4F82-AD4F-891444E2A903.jpeg

Thank you to everyone! And I learned a lot in the process. Now I can get the tires off the rims and talk to the powder coater about painting the rims and frame. :)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account