finally got damn Bing carb to stop leaking....

Puch Maxi with 14mm Bing....it marked the pavement with premix if left parked for a few hours without shutting off fuel valve.

I rebuilt carb, adjusted float hinge many times, but kept leaking. I tried the expensive OEM bowl gasket and float needle instead of knock offs. I tried myron's mopeds' suggestion to polish where the needle seats. Nothing helped. I just now tried to adjust the float one more time and it finally stopped leaking if angled slightly up from the hinge!!!! It was probably the 6th or 7th adjustment that did the trick.

AW HELL YEAH!!!

Re: finally got damn Bing carb to stop leaking....

Yeah, it can be a pain. But basically you want to make fir sure the seat is clean, the needle straight, and the floatshouod be perfectly level when upside down

It is less the float angle and more the float needle. They become misshapen after years in gas. Just replace the needle and make sure the tube it sits in is super clean and smooth. Then re adjust your float to be where it was before.

If you don't replace that needle it will flip on you, in that instead of leaking due to it not fully seating, it will stick and not allow enough fuel to come thru as it should and will starve the carb while the bike is running.

If it's an old bing that leaks it is always the float needle.

These tiny carbs are very finiky

Glad you had the patients to get it fixed. I personally don't care if gas leaks just so it runs ok

> Michael marmaras wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Glad you had the patients to get it fixed. I personally don't care if

> gas leaks just so it runs ok

I've literally seen a moped catch on fire at a rally because the carb was leaking..........

^^^^^ this. Leaky carbs are bad news. Don't ignore them. Aside from the mess they are dangerous.

stop cleaning the float needle with carb cleaner the rubber swells and its all over from there!

roots to wings /

why would you NOT shut off your fuel when not riding? that said, i've had bings leak bad when fuel on and running before. adjusting the float usually gets it, but not always as described above.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account