Removing front fork

I’m stripping my Puch to paint the frame, I’m on the remove fork step. I got the bolts off the fork plate but it’s not wanting to free off the big threaded spot. I can see a somewhat flexible gasket sitting there. I watched a video by cornped on replacing a fork and I didn’t see anything else I’m missing. Maybe it’s just old and stuck? Wanted to run it by someone before I started tapping it with more force. I tried lightly tapping a mallet to free but wasn’t moving. Is there something underneath I need to loosen too?

564BCD0F-F196-47FF-B5B6-CFE2DE124C6E.jpeg

Re: Removing front fork

There’s a rubber o-ring there, they’re always basically baked on by age so you just need to pop it off. Heat might help.

I have a set of picks with various angles I use for all kinds of stuff, and one of those will get your o ring out in a second. Or a really fine tipped flathead.

Bryan Mohney /

Ok, cool. Thanks for the feedback that it just needs more “encouragement” to come off. I’ll see if I can get the gasket off and then use more force and/or heat to pop the plate.

It will literally fall right off once you peel up the rubber ring. Thin tipped flat head is all you need

Bryan Mohney /

That did the trick, didn’t realize it was that thick of a ring until I got it off.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account