Help getting brake shoes installed... wishbone spring

Colin Moorhead /

I'm guessing I need a vice or something to get these brakes back on the hub or some tool I can't think of?

Tomos 1990 ish golden bullet. Wishbone style spring on brake pads. I tried man handling it for a while and I'm not even close

Can anyone help me pry this wishbone spring into place? Don't think I can do taco style. It's like a bear trap..

PXL_20221109_170648059.jpg

Re: Help getting brake shoes installed... wishbone spring

It's easiest with a homemade "spreader" tool, Myron's has some info about one way to make one.

"It is made from a M6 x 30 screw, nut, washers, special lip-washer for centering, and a 12mm piston pin. The piston pin end and screw head are ground to fit the spring so it can’t slip off."

I've been able to make do by placing the shoes in the proper position on the brake plate, then clamping the v-spring on the lower shoe and levering the opposite side with a flathead screwdriver. But this method risks damaging the brake plate or shoes if you slip up, so I can't recommend it.

Colin Moorhead /

That is a genius little device

Im going to give it a go with flathead screw driver, that's a good idea. Like tire iron style

Colin Moorhead /

That spreader gave me a good idea

I put the spring on my small vice and spread it using vice and was able to slip it on. Had to bang it a little with rubber hammer when I took it off vice to get it fully set l

PXL_20221109_173015944.MP.jpg

Nice!

🦺🥇b to the MOPO 🚨🚨🚨 eff /

We've all struggled with these; that tool and the vise trick are both great!

i threw away the new wishbone spring that was entirely too stiff and kept the previous spring.

I use a cast spreader to remove and reinstall the springs. I shot this video with one hand and removed the spring with the other:

Putting them back on is just as easy but you need the other hand to guide the spring into the holes. The spreaders are on eBay for like $15.

Great ideas for these damn brakes!

Jeez. I've always just wedged em on and off with a big flat head. Never crossed my mind you'd need a special tool

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account