Another PA50 Idle Issue

Chris Lay /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I was given this PA a few months ago and it hadn’t been ran 10 or so years. There was fuel in the tank and of course smelled like a can of varnish. So after weeks of soaking and flushing, soaking and flushing, I got things pretty clean. Surprisingly, the inside of the carb wasn’t too bad. Took it apart as much as I could, used several cans of Berryman Chemtool and lots of compressed air. Put it all back together with new line, inline filter etc., and BAM, she started right up and ran pretty good.

Obviously not being a daily driver, it sat for several weeks. When I went to start it up last week, it wouldn’t idle at all. Runs great at anything over about to 1/3 throttle, but no idle. After spending a good amount of time reading other threads on this forum, I got more confused than anything so I went back to my good ‘ol’ common sense of mentality and experience beings how I’ve been tinkering and fixing these things since the late 60’s(yeah I’m old).

Ok, so I can start the bike and keep it running by just using the choke lever. When it starts to die, I put the choke on full and will stay running. I the open the choke, it revs really high, then wants to die again. Continuing to do this keeps it running.

My conclusion? Idle circuit. So off comes the carb and thanks to some great posts on the other threads, I found the tiny tiny little orifice under the screw below the throttle stop screw. I think it is(or was) plugged. More to come….

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account