Variator sticking - Mobylette AV7

IMG_7866.jpg

Hi Folks,

I installed a new variator on a rebuilt AV7 motor in 60' Mobylette Tourisme. Rode it for about a month with no issues. Now the little bastard sticks in high-gear (the belt rides at the top of the pulley) and then actuates suddenly upon deceleration, causing the moped to lunge from the sudden motor braking.....

Near as I can tell, the "fork" in the black sliding pulley halve seems move slightly past the locating pins on the housing...and then hangs up until the deceleration suddenly forces it off the ends of the pins....abruptly sending the belt back down to the inside (as pictured).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

T.O.

Re: Variator sticking - Mobylette AV7

The Operative /

Here are few more shots. Normal position of the fork of the moving pulley halve low gear (not variated). The pin from the variator housing located inside the fork normally:

IMG_7871.jpg

Now, here is the position the variator gets stuck in fully variated. The fork move nearly completely past the pins and hangs up:

IMG_7868.jpg

One of the 3 rollers can also come out of it slot and jam the variator fully open....this has happened:

IMG_7870.jpg

So how do I stop the pulley fork from escaping the end of the pin? Is this a manufacturing error?

Any advice appreciated.

T.O.

Dangertooth -PipeDreams/- /

The Varplus comes with plastic tubes that slip over these pins and lengthen them (I think that's the purpose, anyway)

Maybe someone here has a set, or you can buy them separate? Left side of this image

s-l400.jpg

You can add a shim between cheeks. Wider belt or taller rollers.

The Operative /

> pat splat wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You can add a shim between cheeks. Wider belt or taller rollers.

Thx

Where can I get these materials?

The Operative /

Okay, upon further inspection it appears that the fixed pulley cheek....wasn't so fixed. It's somehow slipped closer to la moteur....thus, allowing the moving cheek to ride too far from variateur housing.......FUCK!

You can see the silver score mark on the shaft where the fixed cheek should be located:

IMG_7871.jpg

So, I'm pulling the variateur (a bitch job in itself) to take a look behind and see if the large nut on the back came loose...or whatever.

Stay tuned!

T.O.

The Operative /

Got some input from a bloke I know in the UK:

"The moving cone is moving out too far and running off the end of the pins. Definitely not right by a long way.

Needs stripdown and at least the washer taken out behind the fixed cone.

Back nut is LH thread *very important.

Fixed cone is standard RH thread, but needs to be undone with a chain wrench , and we heat by oxy-acetylene to heat and release the threads.

The people who assembled that are fuckin' idiots."

Fully agreed, here is the most competent of the assemblers below:

fish-Chimpanzees-termites-grass-stalks-probes-ants-4128614554.jpg

Quality control just isn't what it used to be:

The Operative /

Getting the left-hand threaded locknut off is a HUGE bitch without the right tooling. You either need an impact driver and a 35 mm socket or special tooling and a good vise I have none of these. Here is the process:

So, I took the variateur to a mechanic friend and he got the left-hand threaded locknut off pretty fast with said pneumatic impact driver and an assistant. The normal-threaded fixed cheek again took two guys to break loose as well.

IMG_7882.jpg

Upon inspection it was apparent that the fixed pulley cheek was indeed seated correctly agains the shaft lip. It could move no further. Then lip however was located about 2-2.5 mm out too far to correctly limit the moving cheek. This condition allowed the moving cheek to travel too far, beyond nearly he pins to the point when the rollers can escape their slots.

Unfortunately, there is no easy and solid fix for this problem.

Perhaps it is possible to put in some kind of band or ring between the pulley halves to limit the travel of the movable pulley. I thought of this as well but it will need to be very secure.

I’m ready to punt, say fuck it and just buy another variateur. However, I will get it from a brick an mortar store where I can inspect it in advance. Furthermore, I would recommend everyone else to carefully check the throw of the movable pulley cheek of a new variateur to insure it stops where the forks rest solidly against the pins…..if it looks like this don’t except the part:

IMG_7868.jpg

The Operative /

Hold the presses!

New info I just stumbled on. It appears there was indeed some kind of ring originally installed on the variateur shaft to limit the travel of the movable pulley cheek.....

Screenshot2022-05-13at14.18.44.png

They sell this ring on their website:

https://mauger-moto.fr/epages/07497c7b-551b-48b5-a80a-938add7658ea.sf/fr_FR/?ObjectPath=/Shops/07497c7b-551b-48b5-a80a-938add7658ea/Products/MM251

This issue has been a real headache. Hope this post saves others the same trouble I've had.

T.O.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account