PC50 Engine-exploded view-something stuck

Can anyone help me identify what is inside of my engine that ran great then all of a sudden I can’t peddle it to start? It’s like something is stuck? When I try to push start it the back tire is locked up, freewheels fine. On move the lever is switched to engage trans it immediately locks up and won’t spin? I need to know what it could be and dare I to open the engine? Are gaskets available to put it back together? Thank you

image.jpg
0D84ED9B-FCEC-47FC-AB92-0098AA01ED91.jpeg

Re: PC50 Engine-exploded view-something stuck

i mean... did you seize it?

Rodger Folkerts /

Not that I can tell, oil was full, no shavings or pieces in the oil when I drained it? One minute it was fine, next nope??

Can you turn the flywheel by hand? Does the piston move up and down in the cylinder?

Rodger Folkerts /

Can anyone help me identify what is inside of my engine that ran great then all of a sudden I can’t peddle it to start? It’s like something is stuck? When I try to push start it the back tire is locked up, peddles/freewheels fine till I switch the lever to start engine. I move the lever to switch to engage trans it immediately locks up and won’t spin? I need to know what it could be and dare I to open the engine? Are gaskets available to put it back together? I can rotate the clutch that’s inside of the right cover that rotates the chain that spins whatever is in the engine head/cylinder. I’ll send pix. Thank you for ur help!! I’ve called numerous places and no one works/worked on them!

Rodger Folkerts /

Yes, I can spin the clutch and it turns the 2 gears that the chain is on and it goes up into the head, rotates fine, until I flip the tranny lever, then it locks up? The crankcase oil was full and clean, no shavings or metal pieces. ? Thank you for your help!!

Rodger Folkerts /

I don’t think so. It was running fine then next time I went to ride it I found it locked up? No one else rides it. Do u know what is on the left side of the engine? What the gears look like? Someone said a tooth might be broke off and stuck in between the 2 gears? But I can switch the lever and peddle it fine? It’s only when the lever is switched to peddle to start the engine?

You tried contacting Dos cycle's? They're not far from you if you're in Dallas. Maybe if they can't help you they can point you in the right direction? You were closer to me I'd look at it for ya.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Kind of sounds like it's seized. If you can't rotate the flywheel by hand with the trans disengaged, than the crank/cylinder is the sticking part.

Rodger Folkerts /

Yes the clutch rotates fine. The shaft that the gear is on that spins the rear wheel spins until the transmission is engaged. Everything in the engine rotates, nothing is seized. It’s a gear problem connected to the rear chain. Like a broken tooth on a gear. The engine didn’t seize I’m positive of that. Thank you for your advice and opinion.

Rodger Folkerts /

What city is doc’s in? Thank you

Rodger Folkerts /

Yes. I can turn it. Everything rotates fine till the trans is engaged. Thank you

Rodger Folkerts /

Yes. I CAN rotate the flywheel when it’s disengaged. It’s when it’s “engaged” it will not rotate. ???? Thank you

Those are 4 strokes right, timing chain or tensioner if it has one go?

Rodger Folkerts /

Yes 4 stroke, tensioner and chain is perfect, that part of Eng rotates and compression is great. The problem I believe is with the crankshaft??

image.jpg

Rodger Folkerts /

Yes, Everything with that crank- gears -piston- all works great

Rodger Folkerts /

Yes, it rotates-spins and has great compression

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

Did you split the cases? If you don't see anything broken or obvious, I'm not sure a schematic would help. There are a few here

A couple times in this thread people asked if the flywheel could spin freely and your answers seemed to be talking about the clutch side moving freely. The flywheel is on the opposite side of the transmission,on the left. It would only spin once the clutch is engaged to start. If it were stuck it would mean that the piston was siezed in the cylinder head or that something was blocking the flywheel. Sometimes screws on the electrical side may back out and jam up a flywheel. This can make it seem like a transmission issue. But if you tore the engine down and didn't see anything weird on the "alternator" side or with the piston and rings in not sure what it could be.

honda-pc50-little-honda-1969-usa-alternator_bighu0004e3007_9adb.gif

Oh shit, I didn't see you'd figured out the issue in a different thread. My bad big homie (edited)

Rodger Folkerts /

Lol no worries! Yep, it was the spring on the peddle shaft! I had no idea there was a spring there till I took it to a Harley mechanic and he figured it out!!! I just stretched it 1/4” and now cleaning/polishing everything in and out and looking for gaskets then put it together. Thx man!

The newness has worn off.

Really though, I have no idea. Mine behaved perfectly for ever.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account