1980 Sachs prima Boggs Down

Carb clean

Compression good (150+)

Spark plug works fine

Starts fine

On stand with throttle sounds great

As soon as I sit on it it starts bogging down

I only weight like 150lbs.

Not sure if the engine is shot or other problems.

Re: 1980 Sachs prima Boggs Down

Stock air box and filter?

Adam Shortreed /

Yes

Adam Shortreed /

I found out that in the transmission there is a missing spring that the screw at the top falls into and not sure if it has any importance to this?

F3DF1F39-CA96-411E-94A8-39EE71139F6D.jpeg

Dunno Sachs that we’ll, but if it’s missing the spring pictured I think that keeps the starter mechanism disengaged until you pull the starter clutch lever to start it. So if that’s hanging up w/o the spring, maybe your clutch is engaged or partially engaged at idle? Meaning on the stand it can spin the wheel and idle ok but when you’re on it it can’t spin the wheel so the engine dies…

Just a guess without knowing more about the issue

Bernhard Schmaelzle /

Yes, that spring is absolutely needed for correct function of clutch and starting mechanism.

Barny

yup what boyd said

Adam Shortreed /

So could that be a reason that my engine will not go above 18mph when it did well over 20 easy before but I’m not sure if I got it without the spring when I bought it or if I lost it when I refilled the transmission fluid

Adam Shortreed /

Never mind I’m stupid that is part of the decompression

is the spring hanging out dragging inside there?

Adam Shortreed /

So I found the spring and put it in place but it fixed the decompression im wondering if Berryman b12 or seafoam might help with the bogging

maybe, but better would be to just clean the carb

Adam Shortreed /

Cleaned carb again same problem but could a clogged exhaust port cause it to max out at 18 when it should be around 25

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account