Re: 1978 Garelli

Have you checked engine compression? It might be suffering from low compression.

Just to eliminate a variable, your clutch cable is fine at both ends and there's no slippage or anything funny going on there? On my Garelli Basic 50 someone had used a fuse block terminal as the knarp and it was hanging up on the frame.

The woodruufff key is small and possibly sheared. Also change that side crank seal while checkin/changing. 17/35/7

Your choke working right? Your rear brake light working?

> pat splat wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Your rear brake light working?

Do mopeds have a brake light any place but the rear ? ;)

> P D wrote:

> > pat splat wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Your rear brake light working?

>

> Do mopeds have a brake light any place but the rear ? ;)

You couldn't help it could you 😅

> Stephen Simmons wrote:

> > P D wrote:

>

>

> > > pat splat wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Your rear brake light working?

>

> >

>

> > Do mopeds have a brake light any place but the rear ? ;)

>

> You couldn't help it could you 😅

Ha . Inquiring minds need to know . LOL

I guess I can't really blame him for supplying a thorough description . ;) (edited)

Hey guys, I just took apart intake and found there is only one piston ring on piston and piston has a crack on it. So I’m guessing this is a major compression issue so treats will be getting some more of my money! 😵‍💫

D0C858BE-0D24-4489-8B95-473A5DED43F7.jpeg
185F1D32-91F6-405A-AA12-E56F90B368CA.jpeg

🤔 what does the cylinder look like?

Will take pics here in sec.

Pics of Cylinder

7E9F4A05-C9D6-44C5-BD90-CE694F157636.jpeg
36A7D408-6A2E-41C1-A88C-5687562012A8.jpeg
A93DD6FB-48B2-45DE-AB10-2EC9D96EA1DD.jpeg

Looks like you'll be good with a piston kit and some gaskets.

I’d get the cylinder honed.

Okay. Thanks for replies

> Dave Jenkins wrote:

> Hey guys, I just took apart intake and found there is only one piston

> ring on piston and piston has a crack on it. So I’m guessing this is a

> major compression issue so treats will be getting some more of my money!

> 😵‍💫

I see two rings . The lower ring is simply stuck in it's landing .

New rings require a cylinder hone .

I see the lower ring. The upper ring is missing along with a 1/4 of the upper ring land. I'd be looking for the missing peices before I put any new parts in that VIP motor. Mmmm mmm toasted. (edited)

> live ɘvil wrote:

> I see the lower ring. The upper ring is missing along with a 1/4 of the

> upper ring land. I'd be looking for the missing peices before I put any

> new parts in that VIP motor. Mmmm mmm toasted.

You are right . I wasn't looking close enough . :(

> live ɘvil wrote:

> I see the lower ring. The upper ring is missing along with a 1/4 of the

> upper ring land. I'd be looking for the missing peices before I put any

> new parts in that VIP motor. Mmmm mmm toasted.

VIP?

> Stephen Simmons wrote:

> > live ɘvil wrote:

>

>

> > I see the lower ring. The upper ring is missing along with a 1/4 of

> the

>

> > upper ring land. I'd be looking for the missing peices before I put

> any

>

> > new parts in that VIP motor. Mmmm mmm toasted.

>

> VIP?

Its not an NOI nor is it mounted on a Monza frame. Its a step through vertical motor...

Screenshot_2021-12-08-22-33-22.png

I'm hungry for a Quiznos sub now.

Dave Jenkins, please post a pic of the whole moped and or the vin tag on the steering neck. Thank you. (edited)

His first pics show the cases of an NOI. The pic I just posted looks like a VIP. So the O.P. needs to show us all an overall pic or vin tag to clarify. Most VIP motors were two speeds and this one is a one speed. (edited)

Woa! The first pics really make it look like a horizontal noi engine. But these last pics of the cyl and piston carnage, that is 100% a vip engine.

Not much changes for the rubber clutch info provided but they are definitely different engines.

I ordered a piston and ring for a NOI engine. Maybe that’s the problem Im having after assembly. (edited)

image.jpg

Bud, I would take a look at the repair guide for garelli in the wiki here and identify the specific motor you have. It will show you exactly which size piston and rings you will need.

> Dave Jenkins wrote:

> I ordered a piston and ring for a NOI engine. Maybe that’s the problem

> Im having after assembly.

U might wanna explain your problem...

By memory garelli is 40mmx2 rings. But digital calipers r necessary for this kinda stuff.

Welp, its a one speed horizontal noi motor and has 17" wheels. Most Garellis I've seen have 16" wheels.

Screenshot_2021-12-19-05-25-33.png

(edited)

daan SJAARLOOS /

That looks like pretty severe detonation to me. Or something broke off and bashed the shit out of the piston. What does your head look like?

I'd make sure that all the metal crap that came off that piston is out of the case before you put anything back.

Thanks. Hey guys what does it mean when I can be walking my Garelli and the engine is engaging as if I’m paddling to start? What is not Dis-engaging

> Dave Jenkins wrote:

> Thanks. Hey guys what does it mean when I can be walking my Garelli and

> the engine is engaging as if I’m paddling to start? What is not

> Dis-engaging

The first thing I would do is to be damn sure the starter lever and its cable are not too tight. It could be that the starter clutch is not disengaging when you let off of the lever. The original starter cables were not adjustable and made to a predetermined length to prevent just this from happening. Over the years, some peeps will have replaced the starter cable with anything they could find that would fit. When that happens the cable tension will most likely be set too tight and the starter clutch wont disengage when you let off of the starter lever. I have had a couple such Garelli mopeds with this problem. Its very difficult to adjust the tension on the starter cable using the starter lever (on the handle bars)for "feel". Rather, I use the lever on the top of the motor just under the floor boards to set cable tension by feel. Best way to tell whats going on is to remove clutch cover and inspect the starter clutch cam for excessive wear. Here is a pic of what happens when someone sets the starter cable tension too tight. Its constantly engaged after the motor starts and fries the cam..

20161015_005944.jpg

You can do it at the bars, just tighten it maybe a little too far, then pedal loosen, pedal and loosen untill the engine isn't engaging on its own. That should be good.

If it is difficult to engage the clutch to get the motor moving then the clutch friction material on the bell may be worn out.

I do not recommend that at all ^^^ because thats the way most peeps set it and get it too tight. Please try it my way once and tell me that you cant tell the difference.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account