1976 ciao voltage rectifier

Andrew Snowberger /

This one confuses me a bit. Going to give the ciao a battery soon, see if the turn signals and the tail light will work, but I dont see a 4 wire voltage rectifier in the battery box like other vespas. I found something inside the headlight housing that seems to have the same wires as a rectifier, on treatland its called an impedance coil. Is that my voltage rectifier?

0630211651.jpg
1121211527_HDR.jpg

Re: 1976 ciao voltage rectifier

A coil is not a rectifier, no.

Also just in case you don't know, the vertical can in your battery box with the red and gray wires going to it is the turn signal relay.

Good subject. I have 2 ciao's with turn signals (that don't work) and the 2 different version of wiring in the headlight. I got new batteries and turn signal relays but the turn signals still do nothing. I had heard that running a 2nd ground wire helps. I'm going to have to figure it out. It would be nice not to have to use my hands to signal turns.

1976-77-Vespa-Ciao-with-blinkers-1 (2021_06_19 16_28_43 UTC).jpg
1978-80-Vespa-Ciao-and-Bravo-with-blinkers (2021_06_19 16_28_43 UTC).png

Hope you get it figured out .

I like to use hand signals along with turn signals when ever feasible .

The more we give others to see the better for everyone .

The little turn signals during the day are hardly enough notice to most cages .

Andrew Snowberger /

I know theres 3 coils inside the flywheel. I see the diagram in the lower right on the pictures sisterhood posted and that looks most like this ciaos harness. I had no idea theres a thermal fuse by the tail light, I'll check that. So any old 6volt 7aH lead acid or agm battery will do?

Andrew Snowberger /

Oh my fucking god joe runkle, skatephoto, I swear on my life I didn't mean to call you sisterhood, I kid you not I changed my spell check to 'aggressive' and I wrote skatephoto and it put the wrong word, if you have a Verizon Motorola phone, you'll see what its spell check does, I'm sorry

Andrew Snowberger /

Ok me the dumbass is back to report adding a 6volt 7ah acid filled battery did not solve either the taillight not lighting up nor the turn signals turning on at all. The headlight, speedometer light, and the brake light do work...

Andrew Snowberger /

When I first got this 76 ciao to fire up, its tail light did work. I seem to have burned something out. A diagram suggests the 3 position switch on top of the headlight contains a diode or rectifier, and I do not know yet what the impedance coil attached to the switch does. Please forgive my idiocy and point me in the right direction!

I guess the early ones did have a diode in the headlight bucket! However, if you have that and a three coil stator it seems like your bike is a mish-mash of parts from different years?

The diode (operating as a half-wave rectifier) is just for charging the battery from the lighting coil. It's doing the same job as the full-bridge rectifier marked with the "&" in the 78-80 diagram. While a single diode will have a small voltage drop, it isn't likely enough to prevent your lights from blowing out and that's not what it's there for anyway. I do not know exactly what the impedance coil is doing; I'd treat it like a wire or a low value resistor.

On the 76-77 wiring diagram, the battery powers the turn signals and the tail light. The brake light is powered through the return of the ignition coil.

On the 78-80 wiring diagram, the battery only powers the turn signals. The tail light is powered by the green wire from the stator. The brake light is powered by the yellow wire from the stator.

As for troubleshooting the turn signals: check the voltage at the turn signal relay. The input should be ~6V (the battery voltage) when the key is inserted, and the output should toggle between 6V and ground when you turn the turn signal switch to L or R, assuming the bulbs in at least one of your lights are good.

Andrew Snowberger /

Really? Ok I'll try that next! Still no turn signals. I opened the headlight and found the green wire had come free from its screw on the board. Hooked it up amd tightened all those screws and no have nice bright tail light

Andrew Snowberger /

Ok, tested for voltage at the flasher unit. Key inserted, got 6.2 volts at the red fused wire and white wire, but turn the turn signal switch to left or right and get no change. Bad flasher? Maybe someone switched around wires in the turn signal switch? the tiny screws have been beat up a bit.

Andrew Snowberger /

Used a multimeter and tested the diode in the headlight, checked out ok

Andrew Snowberger /

Went so far as to open the original flasher unit, and jumped it and watched the slowest relay in the world close. Skipped the relay and jumped the white and red wires together and still no turn signals light up. I forced the turn signal switch left and right and the bulbs actually lit up when I held the switch in position. Hoping a can of electrical cleaner and some dielectric grease solves this for good. Got a flasher that beeps when on coming soon :)

di·e·lec·tric

adjective :

insulating.

noun :

an insulator.

In case you didn't know . ;)

ha ha no worries. The Sisiterhood of the traveling moped! lol I took mine up to Tomahawk Chris and he bypassed the relay and the blinkers came on. We thought it was the relay but I changed it with 2 different relays and nothing

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account