heavy rust in inner rim, batavus starflite rear wheel

Hi all, first post. Been fixing a cheapie batavus starflite for about a month now. Put a bunch of work in and id hate to have to table is cus of rust in a section of the rear wheel.

Went to replace an old cracked tire and found something resembling this mess on one relatively small sector of the rim. Ive been treating it with evaporust gel, a steel brush and a wire wheel.

As i kept removing rust, some holes started showing. Theres a bit mlre rust to go so im getting pretty worried. Starflite rear wheels seem like unobtanium right now so unless theres some crossover with other moped wheels i dont know about, replacement doesnt feel like an option right now.

In addition to the holes, the rust is eating away at the edges (beads?) Of the rim on this section as well.

I guess my questions are, 1) how much material thinning due to rust removal is too much, 2) how many holes are too many, 3) can it be repaired any way <im tempted to throw tack welds down with my stick welder and grind/sand it smooth, tell me if this is an awful idea>, and 4) is there any more obtainable rear wheel or rim i can replace this POS with? Id be fine with getting some generic rim and replacing the original hub and getting it balanced or whatever.

Thanks for ur time, please god help me i need guidance and hope

20211119_020522.jpg
20211119_020300.jpg

Re: heavy rust in inner rim, batavus starflite rear wheel

Damn, that shit's toast. Too bad God doesn't work on mopeds, a literal miracle is the only way you could continue to use that rim safely.

You can re-lace the hub to a new rim for relatively cheap (but it takes a long time to do right).

Or you can go on the buy/sell forum, post a want to buy ad and find someone with a whole wheel for $30-40 plus shipping and be done with it.

samuel postil /

Ughhhh exactly what i didnt want to hear but knew in my heart was true. Thanks for the info. Made a WTB post and in the meantime ill get researching on relacing a hub cus im not confident ill be able to find someone with a wheel whos willing to give it up, but hopefully im wrong.

Thanks again tho nick!

Batavus aren't exactly rare, the trick is finding a wheel in nice shape. Worst case you could always replace the rim and swap over your existing hub.

i would definitely not trust that rim.

Lacing up replacement rims is easy and fun. They do it on YouTube all the time.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account