Minerelli Brake light

Darrin Badame /

I am trying to figure out how to get the brake light to work. The headlight and taillight work. I have the blue wire separated where it goes thru the frame because when it is connected the lights go out. The brake light switches have a brown wire that goes switch to switch and a blue wire that comes down where I have it connected. Is there anyway to separate how the taillight and brake light are powered. Looking for a little help kind of getting frustrating.

Re: Minerelli Brake light

Is the brakelight bulb good? If not, that's your safety engine cutoff when you hit the brakes.

Here's the wiring schematic from Myron's mopeds for a cimatti V1. Other V1's are basically the same. Shows how that blue wire works.

Cimatti-City-Bike-Wiring-Diagram1.jpg

Something is not wired correctly and you're gonna have to play detective and investigate all connections with the correct wiring diagram. The above diagram is probably close but it clearly does not have brown wires in the brake light switch circuit like you mention.

Which ped is this minerelli on? (edited)

> Don Ohio wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Is the brakelight bulb good? If not, that's your safety engine cutoff

> when you hit the brakes.

I wouldn't call it a safety as its more of a flaw. Other peds utilize a resistor to keep the motor running after the bulb burns out.

A burned out brake light AND a moped stalled in the middle of traffic is real "safe".

> live ɘvil wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Don Ohio wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Is the brakelight bulb good? If not, that's your safety engine cutoff

>

> > when you hit the brakes.

>

> I wouldn't call it a safety as its more of a flaw. Other peds utilize a

> resistor to keep the motor running after the bulb burns out.

>

> A burned out brake light AND a moped stalled in the middle of traffic is

> real "safe".

I agree. I once went 19 miles home or more without using a full stop.

Cimatti's have the cool hidden switch under the headlight that grounds out the wire so you can still ride it.

Yes, unfortunately my Sebrings don't have that. Still, I'd want the brake light, so I always carry a spare bulb in my tool bag.

Darrin Badame /

The issue I am having is when the blue wire is connected to the taillight it makes the headlight and taillight dim down. When I separate the blue wire the lights get brighter. As the moped is running, blue wire connected, pulling the brake levers causes the lights to go out. Brake switches are open when levers are not pulled. I was thinking that I might need closed switches, but I am not sure if that is my issue. The wiring has definitely been tampered with before I got it. Moped is a 1984 Safari 300MT.

Yes you need normally closed switches on your ped. They do come both ways. You need to be looking for bad grounds between motor/frame, wire/frame, rear fender/frame etc.

Did you check the wires that run under the rear fender for bare spots causing a short? The wires could have dropped down from the hooks under the fender and rubbed bare from the tires. Also check where the wire goes in and out of the fender. If the plastic grommet has failed or is missing, vibration could have worn a crack in the plastic insulation on the wire. V1 wiring harness aren't too complex.

Darrin Badame /

There are no breaks in the casing and there is continuity between the taillight housing and where I have it separated. I am going to order the closed brake switches and go from there. I also have continuity between other side of blue wire and the switches

Darrin Badame /

Are there any CEV tail lights that have the brake and the tail light separated electrically. Meaning there is no continuity between both sides of the tail light. It seems that when the tail light is on there is no way for the brake light to go on since it is some how connected to the tail light. I did get the closed brake light switches that I mentioned prior. I appreciate the help.

Richard Eberline /

Is their a ceramic ohm resister in the tail light? Tail light needs two wires and a good ground, bare metal. Check all grounds with a ohm meter. You need a NO switches. Put the switch in your hand and with a ohm meter test for continuity. you need a open switch, when you press the switch, the meter will sound.

Darrin Badame /

There is continuity all the way from the wiring at the tail light all the way to where they are separated as they exit the frame above engine. I have tried both switches and the closed switches are on now. The tail light does have the resistor for the 10w bulb. On the tail light you can touch any point with the meter and get continuity. It does not matter which terminal you touch. I am doing this with the tail light on the table with the bulbs installed. I think I need a tail light where the running light and brake light are not able to touch each other. Correct me if I am wrong.

Richard Eberline /

Put the switch in your HAND. you want this switch to be NO. When installed the brake lever pushes the switch in. When you apply the brake the switch relaxes to its NO position. like in your hand.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account