1978 Garelli Clutch Rubber

Hello guys I am in need of help on my 78 Garelli. What is happening is my Garelli cuts off when brake is applied. And when I paddle to start and accelerate it does not take off. The rear brake bulb and stop light has been replaced. How do you know if the rubber on clutch is in need of replacement?

image.jpg
image.jpg

Re: 1978 Garelli Clutch Rubber

What do you mean by it doesn't take off?

I mean when you hit the throttle on moped it does not accelerate or move.

Put the ped on its center stand. Rotate back wheel forward by hand making sure back wheel does not touch ground. Look and see if clutch bell is rotating. Clutch bell is the steel pot that surrounds the rubber center highlighted with red here:

Screenshot_2021-11-17-12-22-16.png

(edited)

Hello Live Evil. When I spin the wheel by hand the clutch bell does rotate. Is this suppose to happen? (edited)

> Dave Jenkins wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hello Live Evil. When I spin the wheel by hand the clutch bell does

> rotate. Is this suppose to happen?

Yes. See the rubber puck just inside of the bell? Thats connected to your crankshaft on the engine. When the engine spins fast enough that rubber puck will expand or swell and then engage the bell. The bell is connected to your transmission and then to the wheel. Typically when a Garelli has a clutch issue the rubber is permanently swelled from using improper oil. Non detergent motor oil must be used to prevent that. ND30 weight oil is what the factory calls for and some peeps unknowingly put in a regular motor oil that has detergents then the detergents swell that rubber up so that it wont dis-engage. By doing what I told you to do it obvious that yours is good. Your problem lies elsewhere.

Unfortunately all this could of been checked without removing the trans/clutch cover. It appears that the motor is simply not revving up high enough to engage the clutch. (edited)

Okay. Any idea what I should look out for? Thanks

> Dave Jenkins wrote:

> Okay. Any idea what I should look out for? Thanks

Make sure this nut is tight.

Screenshot_20211117-220235~2.png

Make sure the nut behind the handles bars is tight too.

Okay which nut are you speaking of?

> Dave Jenkins wrote:

> Okay which nut are you speaking of?

🧐🤣🤣🤣🤣

The nut who posts multiple threads on the same topic. 😝

Your Definitely Lame

> Dave Jenkins wrote:

> Your Definitely Lame

Did you figure it out?

The front brake is not stuck on is it? You can roll the bike around easy enough right? Does the slide in the carb. open all the way when you twist the throttle all the way?

Hello Evil, no the front brake isn’t stuck and slide does open all the way. What I am thinking is the rubber on clutch may have swoll as I did use incorrect oil unknowingly. The rubber isn’t stuck on clutch chamber but it does touch it when I spin the wheel so I’m thinking it maybe expands when it heats up and causes engine to stall at idle. I ordered one from treats and hope this works.

I've seen the gear come off the clutch bell and the nut on the main gear come loose. Those are really the only two things that would keep it from moving. If the clutch rubber was swollen it would move but wouldn't idle with the rear tire on the ground.

Randaddy Atkinson /

Does the bike start/idle/run at all on the stand with the rear wheel in the air? Does the bike die when you actually apply the brakes, or when the rear wheel stops moving?

If the bike runs and the back wheel spins while on the kickstand but dies when the back wheel is stopped, you’ve got signs of textbook Garelli clutch issues. Take off the giant circlip that clips on those nine pegs and the whole clutch assembly should right apart. Inspect the small rubber bushing that go on 6 of the pegs and check for signs of melting. Also inspect the entire big rubber clutch itself and all inside the metal clutch drum.

Every Garelli I have ever owned has swelling or uneven wear at the deepest point in the clutch bell. A little friction and improper oil causes the rubber clutch to melt and smear onto the metal drum. There’s usually bits of melted rubber all over in there, including the small oil holes and behind the clutch bell and gears.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account