No Spark - 1980 General 5 Star

Hi All, I am new here and am hoping someone can help me? I have a 1980 general 5 star with no spark. The moped did not have keys for the fork, so I cut the wires and connected them. I went in and sanded the points (although maybe not enough) and still nothing. I am trying to diagnose how I can tell if the stator is bad, or maybe the points. or perhaps the coil? Also, if they are bad.......can I get replacements without a tone of trouble? This moped has not been touched and is in pretty good shape.....just been sitting for like 30 years. Any help on diagnoses or new / aftermarket parts would help. Right now, my goal is to get it to run. Thanks!

Re: No Spark - 1980 General 5 Star

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide is a great general troubleshooting guide.

Make sure the red wire that was connected to the lock is isolated from the frame (wrap the exposed conductor in electrical tape), or that will kill your spark. Make sure you clean the points after sanding them!

Stators and coils very rarely go bad on mopeds.

BRIAN PARFITT /

Thanks, I will keep trying. I was just worried with all the old wiring, something may not be allowing it to produce spark (i.e. maybe a loose, broken or dirty / corroded connection somewhere). Gonna hit the points with sand paper again and see what happens. Any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks again!

It sure could be that! I often "hard wire" bikes when getting them going for the first time - just set up the absolute minimum of connections needed to run, with new wires.

If the tail light bulb is bad or its not grounded properly it won't spark. Happened to me last year

BRIAN PARFITT /

Thanks everyone........I checked the rear light and the fuse by the battery. Both were ok. How would I hardwire it (just to get some spark and see if the motor runs)? Also, this may be a stupid question, but the battery is dead. It doesn't need the battery to get spark does it? Thanks again everyone I really appreciate it!!

Richard Eberline /

Is the motor a Sachs or a fan cooled Minarelli V1? The wires from the stator are different colors. Or take a picture. EACH one has a different magneto flywheel puller and more.

BRIAN PARFITT /

I could not attach any more photos, but the clutch cover says Minarelli. I would like to force it to spark (I guess hardwire) just so I can make sure it is still good. If anyone can tell me how from the pictures, I would really appreciate any help or advice. Thanks again.

Moped A.jpg
Moped B.jpg
Moped D.jpg

The fuse by the battery is not involved in the ignition system, but checking things is good. Also I just realized you connected the ignition switch wires; don't do that, that's now how the switch works. It's an SPDT switch that either grounds out the ignition circuit, or connects the negative battery terminal to ground.

To hard-wire the bike, run a wire from the ignition coil / points / condenser to the HT coil input. Make sure the coil is grounded appropriately.

Note that when you hard wire a bike you'll need some other way of shutting it off. I recommend temporarily removing the air filter and covering the carb with your hand when you want to kill it.

BRIAN PARFITT /

Thanks Brian, I appreciate everything especially the part about the "kill switch". I thought for sure I would need to connect those wires (i.e. turning the key would make the connection). I will proceed to clean the points and try and rewire (temporarily) based on your instructions. Thanks again!!

No problem, good luck!

BRIAN PARFITT /

Hardwired like you said and I now have spark. Now I need gaskets, a compression test to see if I need rings and a Carburetor. You have truly helped me enough, but if you have any recommendations on carb for the general please let me know. Also, if you have any other advise on wiring (not the hardwire) let me know. Thank you again so much for your help!!

Excellent news! You're welcome!

This may mean that your kill switch is bad, or there's some failure somewhere else in the wire harness. I recommend adding things back one at a time and see what causes the bike to lose spark.

For a carb, a 15 SHA is a great choice for a stock minarelli V1. They typically came with a 14/12 SHA, so the 15 gives them a little more life.

Also http://www.treatland.tv and http://www.doscycles.com should have all the parts you need. They're both great places to buy moped parts, and cool folks.

Easiest way to hardwire it is red to coil, ground the blue, and leave black open.

Grounding the blue takes the brake light kill out of the circuit.

Black is for lights, etc.

Red goes to coil and kill switch.

You can also hook up an external condenser to the red. Splice the wire from the condenser to the red and ground the condenser body by bolting it on the frame, or to the coil mount.

That way you can check for a faulty internal condenser (which is behind the magneto.)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account