reed valve issue

started a new topic as i have the old topic under control but this topic may be what stops the rest of the repair. i took out the reed valve and i posted on the picture on the other thread but i will post that one here along with the other as i think someone put in a different reed valve and it is not seating well on the housing. and that may be what is causing the problem. so if i get a good enough photo maybe some here can direct me to a good part or a possible repair of this part.

this one has a bit of a detent downwards and the reed valve that is in it does not seat well. so is there a way to fix this housing? when i crank it over i get a ton of blowback thru the carb, so if it is pushing all the mixture back out it is ot very likely it has enough mixture to start. it will just about start with either. i have to post again to finish reached the max on this one thanks

20211113_144648.jpg
20211113_144657.jpg
20211113_144741.jpg

Re: reed valve issue

so here are the rest

20211113_144806.jpg
20211113_144917.jpg

here are 2 showing it setting in position one side then flipped over see the gap?

20211113_145725.jpg
20211113_145749.jpg

so i wonder if the original reed valve set down in that little pocket and the new ones they tried to get to set on the top and they just are not fitting very well. so might i machine this block down so it is flat again or is there some type of gasket that i can get to fill that in? or get a thicker shim made to match this block and fill it with rtv and then have the reed valve set on that shim? i have not have any experience working with these things. what i'm tempted to do, is machine it down flat and put this reed valve back or get another one and just use rtv to seal the surronding? what is the consensus on machining it down or rubbing it on a flat plate of sand paper until i get the block flat again and go from there? thanks

Looks like someone tried to adapt those reeds to fit but they are too long. Maybe get some of these instead

https://www.treatland.tv/boyesen-dual-stage-power-reeds-for-SUZUKI-FA50-p/fa50-boyesen-dual-stagers-6133.htm

I'd replace them for sure.

Those are after market reeds someone stuck in there. Also the bolt holes are hogged out.

ok i did not get any notice must have forgotten to follow it. fixed now. so i discovered the housing was warped. the center was higher than the edges and there was no way they were going to work. and the petal in it did not deal around the lowered section so what i did today was take the housing and sand it down until it was flat i thought i got it 100% but the center area that is a bit recessed was still there. anyway, i took an old credit card and made up a sset of petals. and it started and ran but would not idle. one guy here said i need an air breather to get it to idle. so tomorrow i'm going to see if i can take a pc of foam and roll it up and affix it to the carb and have enough restriction to get it to idle. also the compression is a bit low. using the kick start i get 70psi and using the drill motor i get 85. tomorrow i will order rings and head gaskets top and bottom just to have new on it. and i will hone the cylinder out well, i did some the other day and it cleaned up well. but i need to get after it a bit more. the piston is clean the head is clean and the ports are clean.

the owner is a mechanic at a local shop and he is going to have the tool room make up a set of petals out of .030 shim stock that is spring steel and then i can put those in for a trial and see if they work. if that fails then i will see about that link you sent me. and maybe that i can cut them down and fit them to the lowered area like i did the credit card.

so p d. told me the low compression and the lack of an air filter might be some of the problems. so i will see about getting that done. thanks

ok today i took off the carb and checked again for any dirt or junk in the jets. they looked good and clean and when i blew air thew them they all had plenty of air moving thru them. i double-checked the float and it was set at 22.5 mm so i left it there. it is not overflowing when put on the open setting on the tank valve, also for testing, i put a foam air cleaner material in front of and in the carb and it di not make much difference for idle. but 79 psi for compression most likely is the reason.

i took out the insurance card material and made another set of petals out of one of those magnetic business cards. i got almost an idle out of it but no high speed. it blew gas on the tire bad at high speed. so that material is to light. the insurance card did good at high speed but not so good at an idle. so i found an ebay seller and told him what i'm posting here now and maybe he can recommend a material or maybe he has them premade? i sent photos of the old petals with calipers on them. i do not think he will have exact fit but if he has the mounting holes close and they are longer i can file them to fit. thanks bp

Dirty30 Dillon /

Why not just cut your own reeds out of reed paper?

did not know you can do that but also i do not know what that is and where to get it. the magnetic petal did not hold up, but i figured it would not hold up it was to test my theory of the plastic card was just too stiff. can you link me to that stuff? thanks much

Dirty30 Dillon /

> bob palmer wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> did not know you can do that but also i do not know what that is and

> where to get it. the magnetic petal did not hold up, but i figured it

> would not hold up it was to test my theory of the plastic card was just

> too stiff. can you link me to that stuff? thanks much

http://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=reed+paper

Yeah, credit card reeds is a classic shade tree mech workaround I grew up hearing older 2t riders, but no plastic in CC use works for longer than just the ride out of the woods.

i know that what i was doing is testing what may work as i had no part reference to go by. i will check out that link thanks a guy on ebay asked for the measurements for mine and i sent them he sells carbon fibre petals. but he has yet to get back to me. thanks

Totally normal JBOT /

You can literally cut those reeds with scissors to fit easily. Metal or cf

yes you can i made some up but not out of metal or carbon fibre as i did not have the material. i was experimenting i guess. i have another reed valve assy in the mail that has the correct petal in it so now i have a good pattern. so what i will do is take that petal out make a pattern and put it back and try that one to see how it works. then i wll get some carbon fibre or stainless and have it on hand for the next time i need one. thanks

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account