Moped suddenly cut off and now wont start, any help?

Robbie Whelpton-Morley /

Backstory. for a while now where my 2020 lexmoto echo 50cc has had an issue starting up. For the 6 months Ive had it. It’ll take a few seconds of me holding the electric starter for it to start the engine. Not that its a problem, for me it is fine and has been normal since I purchased it at 4km on the clock. Now its at 10km and the past week its taken a bit longer to get started and in some situations i cant get it started at all.

Such as, a few days ago i went to go start my moped as normal and it would not start no matter what I did. It had been left alone all night and All I did was unlock it and go to start it up and it would not start through kicking or holding electric start. I left it for an hour then tried again and it started after a bit of throttle twisting and electric start pressing.

Its happened like that 3-4 times now and can be hit and miss starting up. Some times its fine and other times its not and will play up.

The icing on the cake was yesterday I was riding back from the shop and got onto a 60 road and all of a sudden 30 seconds into my journey building up speed on this main road and all of a sudden the moped looses power. My throttle is twisted and the engine is running but theirs no power and it slows down and then 2 seconds later the engine just stops and shows a check engine light.

I try to start my moped back up and its the same issue. Will not start with electric starter or kick start. I have no idea of the problem is connected or coincidental but I need to be able to fix it or at-least an idea on what to do. Its my only mode of transport to work. If anyone needs a video or photos, I can provide them

When holding the electric starter. It does make a noise so theirs something going on inside.

Thank you

Re: Moped suddenly cut off and now wont start, any help?

I got this guys…

42379133-000C-4458-BD26-5F0F04383AE6.jpeg
09A930CB-4847-42FB-AE3F-4ABDA3B5A244.png

Yeah, that's a scooter, not a moped.

While someone here might be able to help you, we focus on vintage mopeds here, not scooters, so you'll likely have more luck on a scooter focused forum or FB group.

Despite you having a scooter it shouldn't matter it's still an engine that can be fixed. It sounds like you're not getting fuel. And because it's a slowly evolving problem it's probably dirt. I recommend cleaning everything that has to do with your fuel. Starting with your fuel lines at the tank and working your way back to the engine.

>2 seconds later the engine just stops and shows a check engine light

pretty good indication it's not a moped. ;)

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, sounds like either a fuel flow issue, or possible an intermittent electrical issue.

It's hard knowing with the information given.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Carb vacline off or clogged air vent.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Oh try jiggling the handle...

Www.rimshot.com

Bring back the meatspin or rickroll...

Probably carb. Either air leak at the intake manifold, ripped rubber intake neck (because its probably a GY6), leaking vac nipple on intake. After that check your petcock, tank debris/filter, float needle and complete idle circuit especially. If things look iffy buy a new carb or rebuild it, which ever is cheaper or worth your trouble. There's lots of scooter specific sources out there, this isn't really the place to get specific help for it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account