Solo Odyssey Head Gasket/O-Ring

Ive had my Solo Odyssey for a few weeks and ive ridden it a few times, just short runs down the street. I had read a warning here on MA, always check the coolant level in the cylinder when you get one of these. I was finally able to get the fill plug out of the head and stuck a stick down in there to see what the level was. EMPTY. NADA. The only thing on the end of the stick was a little of the PB Blaster that I had been soaking that plug in since I got the moped. This moped was a "barn find", it was still dusty form being in some ones gma's garage for the last 30+ years. So I don't think it was ridden and overheated, and I only ran it for 10-20 minutes at a time. Fingers crossed.

I may just fill er up and run it, but since it was completely empty I would like to pull the head at least and see how things look. Thats when i started looking for head gaskets and reading posts here about them. I can't find any NOS gaskets or aftermarket. I did find some gasket sets on ebay's German classifieds site, they look to be almost homemade by a local moped shop.

Does anyone know what the original head gaskets were made from? I read someone say they were cork. Can I just get some fel-pro and cut my own, and use some Copper Coat on it?

Re: Solo Odyssey Head Gasket/O-Ring

Myron's Mopeds. Solo Parts. He's got a list of what's available. Great guy. I've bought stuff from him. He's legit. Also check Treats online catalog under Laura M48 most likely.

Fill it up and see what happens. Grandpa might of drained coolant out of caution because you dont wanna crack your cylinder in the winter. If it starts steaming like an iron then start looking for that green colored o-ring but i doubt it. Or if it runs bad then check to see if your plug is watery.

Jeremy Crouch /

Good advise, thanks. After removing the drain plug a little liquid did come out, but not much. And it was clear but had that old coolant smell. Who knows what it was.

Also I noticed that neither plug had the copper washer behind them, so that's probably where most of it went. I ordered a set of copper crush washers off Amazon and I'm going to fill it up this weekend. I'll definitely keep an eye on the exhaust and plug to check for coolant.

Make sure to follow the manual and only add the proper amount of coolant. They aren't fillet completely to allow for a little expansion room.

Here’s basically all the solo knowledge you need https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,4421474,page=1

Jeremy Crouch /

Thanks for all of the advise. I got new copper crush washers for the plugs today. I was going to use a little funnel to add the coolant but was afraid I'd spill it everywhere. So I found an 8oz hand sanitizer bottle with a tip that a peice of fuel line fit in real snug. The manual said to add 0.4 US Pints / 0.2 Liters which is roughly 6.5 oz. I stuck the fuel line in the hole and slowly squeezed the coolant in. Tiny bit left in the bottle, perfect.

PXL_20211022_001106004~2.jpg
PXL_20211022_003154121.jpg
PXL_20211022_003658389.jpg

WoW! This is a great thread. When your done you should add all your pics and words to the WIKI. Be sure to give it a great title.

Cant wait to see how you come out on this. I almost hope it leaks so we can se more.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account