aftermarket carb on 82 FZ50

Chris Henige /
IMG_5570.JPG

I took off the Honda carb on my FZ50 that a repair place put on that never would run right.

So now I have the carb below. I had to grind off the captured nut and some of the mounting area to fit the air intake box bracket.

I think I have the carb accelerator cable correct. There is just a bit of play before it starts to pull the air intake plunger and it goes all the way up at full throttle. It will not start the way it is.

If I squirt some starting fluid in it, it takes off right away with a bit high RPMs and then after a couple seconds stalls. I do see fuel going into the carb (clear line).

The choke system is messed up though. If I turn the lever "off" the cable jacket comes out of the handle bar lever bracket quite aways. I think I have something not quite right in the carb choke area or ??? How does this choke system work in the carb?

Any ideas?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191071521621?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=bd8cfd94cf06463da35aa951ec44b80a&bu=43169767886&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20210927122830&segname=11051&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Re: aftermarket carb on 82 FZ50

Maybe the inner choke cable is stuck in it's outer housing .

Disconnect the cable at both ends and be sure that the inner slides freely in the housing . Like all cables of that nature , they need lube to function correctly .

The choke is spring loaded inside the carb body . Remove the retaining nut and pull the chuck cylinder out to be sure it moves in and out freely . You'll have to do that when freeing both ends of that cable .

Pull the carb and be sure that every passage is clean / clear . They have to be pristine . That includes both fuel and air passages . Pay close attention to the idle circuit . And , don't forget the passage that's in the bowl wall .

I use brake cleaner through all passages to be sure it's clear and can see the fluid is coming out where it's suppose to . Follow the brake cleaner with compressed air .

While you have the carb apart check the float level for correct 'height' .

Here's the service manual :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1raDJJQ2M_A8v9lFIxSyYpzRKIRMQ4a1f

And , be sure to note the service manual supplement for any changes made :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1raDJJQ2M_A8v9lFIxSyYpzRKIRMQ4a1f

Chris Henige /

Choke cable is free.

Aftermarket carb and brand new.

I will take some more pics of the choke cable pulled out of the carb later.

> Chris Henige wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Choke cable is free.

>

> Aftermarket carb and brand new.

>

> I will take some more pics of the choke cable pulled out of the carb

> later.

Brand new means nothing . Go through it like its a hundred years old .

Remember it's from China , the land of no QC . ;)

Chris Henige /

Here are photos of my choke cable end at the carb. The one picture shows with choke cable lever all the way to the right in the off/engine warm position. The end is far from the spring. This does not seem right. So the engine is choked with this plunger tight against the top and not choked when it is all they way into the carb?

Second picture is with choke lever to the left and plunger is tight to top.

IMG_5580.JPG
IMG_5578.JPG

Some Suzuki purists got all pissy when I posted about it on the FZ50 group, because I ditched the oil injection, added a Malossi SHA adaptor onto the FZ50 intake, bolted on a SHA 14.12 (cable choke) and never looked back

Holy shit that's a $500 carb??

Haha I hope not. Considering they are under 20 on Alibaba.

Chris Henige /
EBF8A5C6-19ED-43C4-AEAB-F01715CCC90B.jpeg

It was $28 or so. But I told them after that it was nit a direct fit due to a captured nut I had to cutoff so the air box bracket would attach. Not sure why they raised the price.

AE4752D0-28A7-49BB-8462-480AD1665069.jpeg

Chris Henige /

On the choke lever. Those with FZ50's.

When you "turn off" the choke can you twist it back far enough that the cable jacket steel end comes out of the lever as shown in the picture? Maybe this is normal for this bike? You just should not pull the lever back?

Thanks PD for the manual links. I do not have the supplement.

IMG_5570.JPG

(edited)

Man I wouldn't trust that thing as is. You have no clue what the jetting is....I wouldn't want to seize it when you get it running if the jet is too small....

Who was the original oem manufacturer? You might be able to find and buy the correct OEM jet and put it into the new carb....

Whenever I used a clone bing carb on a Puch I switched the OEM emulsion tube and jets into it from a real bing...not that this is a bing but still..

Very Leary of Chinese clone carbs....

I would look into adapting a malossi 15mm shorty intake. It's made for a motobecane but the flange looks like it would be close to fitting....then run a dellorto 15:15. Basically the most popular aftermarket carb for alot of mopeds...came stock on a bunch too...

I wonder if the "Honda" carb you had was just jetted improperly...

Yep, pretty much what I said above and there is an adaptor will bolt up--Treats shows the measurements. Get a SHA with a cable choke since you already have the handlebar control lever and cable.

> Aaron Blair wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Man I wouldn't trust that thing as is. You have no clue what the jetting

> is....I wouldn't want to seize it when you get it running if the jet is

> too small....

>

> Who was the original oem manufacturer? You might be able to find and buy

> the correct OEM jet and put it into the new carb....

>

> Whenever I used a clone bing carb on a Puch I switched the OEM emulsion

> tube and jets into it from a real bing...not that this is a bing but

> still..

>

> Very Leary of Chinese clone carbs....

>

> I would look into adapting a malossi 15mm shorty intake. It's made for a

> motobecane but the flange looks like it would be close to

> fitting....then run a dellorto 15:15. Basically the most popular

> aftermarket carb for alot of mopeds...came stock on a bunch too...

>

> I wonder if the "Honda" carb you had was just jetted improperly...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account