vespa grande that feels like its putting on the brakes.

Hi I have a 1980 (I think) Vespa Grande it only had 400 miles and it is all stock. No aftermarket parts on it for now. I think I may have a problem with the starting clutch. When I am going down a hill I get up to 33 mph and it feels at that point like the brakes are applied and they are not. I think the starter clutch is engaging as the rear wheel is now spinning faster then the motor can go. If it is not the starter clutch I can not think of anything else it could be. I have a pipe and a carb to put on but if it will not let me go faster the 33 mph why do it. Please help me with this thank you

Re: vespa grande that feels like its putting on the brakes.

33mph is pretty much top speed on a stock grande. A pipe will help.

David Snowdon /

I do know stock on level ground yes 33 mph is very good. Going down a step hill when it gets to 33 mph is feels like I put on the brakes. I can feel it keeping me at that speed almost like its governed and cant go over that speed .

I have two other mopeds a Puch and a Garelli vip 2 speed. When I go down the same hill they fly and hit 40 plus mph per the gps on my phone not what the speedo shows.

As I said its only the Vespa that has this problem. I do also have the pipe and carb from Treatland I want to put them on but, if there is no way it can go any faster then why put them on.

David Snowdon /

Thank you for your response.

Just put them on n report back. Theres a few different restrictions, 25 or 30 cylinder, variator n pipe n carb n gearing in the tranny

David Snowdon /

ok when I do put them on I am going to replace the seals in the motor and the trans grease the variator and replace the belt. Is there anything else I should do when I am in there doing all that?

Thank you for the input

Dirty30 Dillon /

At 33 mph you're pretty much at the limit for a stock grande. It's not governed, but the limiting factors are definitely the pipe and airbox.

In my experience, dual variated bikes are much less likely to over rev like a one speed is, especially with a stock cylinder.

As for the starter clutch theory, that's not what is happening. Your starter clutches are engaged pretty much all the time, so if they had failed, you would tell at every speed (most notably when stopped)

Kevin Bishop /

There are more mods:

Cut the brass bushing in the variator so the cheeks come together.

Drill the rivets in the chassis.

Do some wiki searching

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account