New to mopeds

Hey all, I picked up an old Pinto and have been trying to get it started. Whenever I hold the clutch down and try and turn the pedals to start it, it just spins like there is zero resistance. I can see that the clutch cable is pulling the arm as it should. It does not make a sputter noise at all like it most videos when diagnosing to check for spark. What should I be checking? Is this clutch related? Thank you in advanced for the help!

Re: New to mopeds

Nick Johnson /

I mean the choke and choke cable, sorry for the confusion

Are you able to tighten the tension on the clutch cable? It might not be pulling the clutch arm out far enough to put enough pressure on the starter plate to turn the clutch over

Nick Johnson /

the arm itself looks like it is being pulled all the way out by the cable, I manually pulled the clutch arm all the way and it looks like the cable is doing its job. Any other ideas?

Nick Johnson /

It seems weird that I am not getting any resistance on the pedals, its like riding a bike. I have rode my friends moped before and I know that you have to push with force to get it to turn over and the vroom noise it makes. There is none of that.

Search Puch E50 starter clutch on this forum, but especially need to dedicate some time to the wiki stuff on E50's. Pretty much anyone who knows old mopeds will say the same things--get familiar with your engine and how things work, then start with the obvious and hopefully not too difficult stuff, like draining the transmission and examining the fluid, and then what you find when you pull off the clutch cover. Get into it a few steps and come back with an update. It's worth the time and effort!

Nick Johnson /

Appreciate it, just need to be pointed in the right direction. You believe it's a clutch issue?

Pull the clutch cover off and inspect. Post picts if your stumped.

All of the answers here are correct. 9 times out of 10 it’s just a loose cable, do some research because it will not only help you solve problems but also understand which questions to ask, and post details and pics for more in depth responses.

Anyway, here’s the thumbnail of how the starter clutch works from a few weeks ago:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,4464867,4468300

E50s should be easy to pedal, like a bicycle, unless the clutch level is being pulled. When you pull the clutch lever, it should press in the starting clutch and turn over the motor as you pedal (either on the stand or while moving).

Nick Johnson /

Thank you to everyone for your help! I will report back

Am I wrong in thinking that pulling the clutch should make it easy to pedal? Just like in a car if you push down the clutch it basically puts the car in neutral. I know I'm wrong because I've read everybody else's posts but why would they make it opposite?

It's a starter clutch, and not a regular clutch.

Basically, the bike has a centrifugal clutch, so there's no manual clutch action needed, it'll go into "neutral" on its own when at idle, like an automatic car.

The starter clutch has a disc that pushes against the centrifugal clutch when you pull the clutch lever, kind of like a manual pressure plate (using car terms if that helps you understand,) which locks the clutch up so the engine will turn over.

After it's started, there's no need for the clutch lever, as the centrifugal clutch takes over, and expands as you speed up.

Nick Johnson /

THANK YOU to all your input, I discovered that the choke cable was frayed under the tank a bit. I found a replacement and was able to do a test for spark, fuel and got it running. I will more than likely have more questions, but love this community!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account