Yamaha QT50 Premix or Oil Pump?

John Barnes /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

This is my first moped restoration, so lots to learn. Took a QT50 out of storage. Hasn't run in at least 25 years. Have a few parts of the restoration completed so far, but I'm stuck on what to do with fuel/oil. I've seen a few posts that advocate for either using oil pump or premix, but would like to get a few more opinions about how to proceed. There was still oil in the tank but there is evidence of significant leakage on rear fender, engine, frame, etc.. I'm not sure how much repair is needed to oil pump, lines yet.

1. What are the advantages of premix or using oil pump? Threads seem to lean toward premix, which sounds simpler in some ways.

2. What do I need to do if I go premix? How do I cap off oil line, or what parts can I remove?

3. Is it worth converting oil tank into a reserve gas tank if I go with premix? I've seen a post or two on that, but not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Thanks!

John

IMG_0523.jpg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account