Stalled Garelli

Hi,

I have a 1980 Garelli 50cc Rally Sport Model and after cleaning the carb, new gas and sparkplug I was able to go for a ride...nice.

Unfortunately it stalled and I can't seem to get it started again. (note that there was a sound (screeching / maybe loose bearing) as the engine got hotter at max throttle) . The sound disappeared once I reduced the speed.

Now it won't start.

Any idea

Re: Stalled Garelli

Did you remember the oil in the gas?

Good point. Yes I did.

The sound you describe makes me think of a seize happen to the cylinder. And what is known as a soft seize if the piston is still able to move inside the cylinder. However the rings may have broken or been fused to the piston which wont let them expand to make a seal on the cylinder.

The cause of the seize is most likely an air leak around the carb when you put it back on after cleaning it. That or an air leak may have developed at the head someplace.

Take the cylinder off and inspect the walls to make sure they are still smooth and not pitted or gouged. Inspect the piston and rings. If everything actually looks and feels fine them reassemble and check for air leaks before you head out on a ride. You may need to replace a ring, the piston, or possibly the whole cylinder if the damage is bad tho.

Post findings and any additional questions. See the wiki on here for garelli engine info. There is a repair manual for your engine on there for sure.

Thanks.. I will provide pictures as I make progress.

Found some scratches.

IMG_20210508_115240.jpg

Yeah you gotta pull that apart , looks like balls of aluminum on the piston too.

Did you run the screens and the air filter box?

Not sure what that is?

Dellorto sha carburetor has a cartridge with screens. Carb also has a plastic air filter box attached to it too. Both affect richness of fuel mixture.

Jesse Nordlander /

Did u pull it apart? Looks pretty toasty. Sucks because garelli stuff is way overpriced.

Need to pick up some tools before I can do that..

Jesse Nordlander /

Literally the same tool to remove head. U don't have a 10mm wrench and socket?

Check out the wiki for a good tool list. I feel like there has been posts put up for optimal tool list for mopeds. Just keep in mind it is ALL metric.

Yes it looks like it soft seized on ya. Get the top end off and assess the damage. It can probably still be ran with maybe a new ring if the one on the piston is damaged. Before you run it again get that carb properly hetted and air restricted so that it does not happen to you again. Grab a temp gauge for a little piece of mind, as you can monitor your head temps and try to slow down before things go bad. Anything over 380°F is gonna be disastrous soon.

Thank you. I've got it apart now looking to get the cylinder head bored.

Will keep an eye out for the temperature.

You need to change crank shaft seals.

Look up brake hone and new rings if the scratches arent too bad. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account