Ninja pipe leaking in weird spot

Is this concerning?? Bike rips, but there's a gray oily substance leaking through one of the rivets of the pipe.

Haven't noticed any difference in performance.

NinjaG3.JPG

Re: Ninja pipe leaking in weird spot

> Andy Nielsen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Is this concerning?? Bike rips, but there's a gray oily substance

> leaking through one of the rivets of the pipe.

>

> Haven't noticed any difference in performance.

That would be oil, it's pretty normal on a 2 stroke. Might be running rich, unless this is a bike with oil injection

you're unavoidably going to have some unburnt oil in your exhaust. Richer oil mix and richer jetting will increase the amount of unburnt oil, and so can retarded timing or erratic spark. That said, it doesnt mean theres a proble, it's unavoidable. if your bike didnt have unburnt oil comin out, it'd probably be running too hot and oil lean.

Anyway, that gets trapped in your baffle and builds up and leaks out wherever it can, in your case the hole for the rivet.

you can bust off those rivets and repack thye exhaust packing. on race bikes folks recommend repacking as often as every 10 hours run time (on a moped that's like 100-300 miles) to mitigate the oil saturation, but i dont know anyone that does it more than annually, and I know basically nobody in mopeds who does it.

Swoop jordan let his get so saturated it started coking up and would occasionally start burning

I repacked mine with steel wool and drilled a teeny tiny drain hole. Not a problem.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> I repacked mine with steel wool and drilled a teeny tiny drain hole. Not

> a problem.

I’ve heard steel wool can be sucked back into the pipe and cylinder, but also never tested it myself so idk.

> Garrett The Kid Wrote:

> > Aaron Blair Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I repacked mine with steel wool and drilled a teeny tiny drain hole.

> Not

>

> > a problem.

>

> I’ve heard steel wool can be sucked back into the pipe and cylinder, but

> also never tested it myself so idk.

Copper or brass wool is a better choice .

Steel wool can rust and come apart pretty easily . Not so with the aforementioned .

Plus , copper or brass wool can be rinsed with gas and reused .

As for getting back into the motor , it's never happened that I've ever experienced , heard of or read about . I've been running 2 strokes way before you were born ( early 1960s to be more precise ) . ;)

Meh, just what I had on hand. I've used the stainless dish scrubby pads as well.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Meh, just what I had on hand. I've used the stainless dish scrubby pads

> as well.

Work with what you have . :)

I drilled out the rivets on a 50cc Chibi mini dirt bike silencer when I was a kid and used steel wool to repack silencer. Back then people would take a small piece of steel wool and stick it in the end of the silencer exit hole drill little tiny dole on each side and run a piece of wire through the drilled holes and steel wool to hold in place. It helped with sound level. Back then people also used angle hair to repack a silencer. It burns, melts and gets clogged with oil pretty fast. You can tell when the angle hair gets clogged, the sound level increases. I use stainless steel or copper wool if I don’t have a regular silencer repacking material to use.

Andy Nielsen /

Cheers all, thanks.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account