Derbi Speedo Spins Backwards?

Hey all

Have one of these speedometers on my variant sport. Unfortunately, with the speedo drive mounted on the left side of the wheel - as it should - and with the correct sized cable, the speedometer only spins the "right way" when the wheel is rotated backwards.

The moped didn't come with a speedo drive, but did include the original speedo drive. Anyone have any suggestions? I have both the "left" and "right" pointing Veglia speedo drives but they result in the same issue. There's also no way to mount the speedometer on the right side, as the brake plate doesn't work on the left side. Really at a loss here. Any ideas? Do I have the wrong speedo and or drive unit?

https://www.treatland.tv/NOS-cev-derbi-variant-sport-SQUARE-speedometer-p/nos-derbi-square-speedo-100kmh.htm

https://www.treatland.tv/NOS-derbi-variant-veglia-speedo-drive-right-p/nos-derbi-speedo-drive-right.htm

https://www.treatland.tv/NOS-derbi-variant-veglia-speedo-drive-left-p/nos-derbi-speedo-drive-left.htm

Edit: my first derbi so go easy on me

Thanks!

Andrew (edited)

Re: Derbi Speedo Spins Backwards?

> Andrew B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The moped didn't come with a speedo drive, but did include the

> original speedo drive.

=================================================

I don't understand the above sentence.

Re: Derbi Speedo Spins Backwards?

You have the wrong speedo drive, if you have a left one you need a right one or vice versa. Probably. I don't know for sure but physics dictates they spin the cable opposite directions so...

Re: Derbi Speedo Spins Backwards?

> Den 23 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Andrew B Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > The moped didn't come with a speedo drive, but did include the

>

> > original speedo drive.

>

> =================================================

>

> I don't understand the above sentence.

My bad. Was typing on my phone and it was freezeing and then autocorrecting sentences.

It should have read:

"It didn't come with a speedometer, but did come with the speedo drive."

@Nick

I was initially thinking the same thing. Both speedo drives mount on the left side of the bike. The speedo drive the derbi came with has the golden nipple on the left (when looking at it from the left). The other one i bought has the nipple on the right. I thought the "right" facing one would work. It did not.

Hope that explains it better

Andrew

Re: Derbi Speedo Spins Backwards?

Now that I think about it...I probably need to use a CEV speedo drive given that it's a CEV speedometer. I believe the SL/SLE/TT variants use the veglia speedometer. Or maybe the variant sports do as long as you're running the Walker brand derbi speedo? Either way, I'll look around for a cev one on treats for 16" tires and give it a shot

Re: Derbi Speedo Spins Backwards?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Flip tire other way?

Invert pre cold war headlight fluid containment module to mitigate the flow it's backing up...

Re: Derbi Speedo Spins Backwards?

> Andrew B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Den 23 Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Andrew B Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > The moped didn't come with a speedo drive, but did include the

>

> >

>

> > > original speedo drive.

>

> >

>

> > =================================================

>

> >

>

> > I don't understand the above sentence.

>

> My bad. Was typing on my phone and it was freezeing and then

> autocorrecting sentences.

>

> It should have read:

>

> "It didn't come with a speedometer, but did come with the speedo drive."

>

> @Nick

>

> I was initially thinking the same thing. Both speedo drives mount on the

> left side of the bike. The speedo drive the derbi came with has the

> golden nipple on the left (when looking at it from the left). The other

> one i bought has the nipple on the right. I thought the "right" facing

> one would work. It did not.

>

> Hope that explains it better

>

> Andrew

Wait so you tried both speedo drives to no avail? That's a mind fuck, isn't the cable spinning opposite directions depending on which side the speedo drive is on?

Re: Derbi Speedo Spins Backwards?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It has to be the squared thingy is rounded off . cables broke or the inverted containment unit was bypassed by non derbite...

Re: Derbi Speedo Spins Backwards?

Just swap the lowers and run the wheel backwards.

Re: Derbi Speedo Spins Backwards?

Overpriced Parts /

All my piston port and pyramid reed derbies have vdo speedos that are the same same as puch speedometers, the flat red sport one I have I don’t know!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account