Replacement piston/ rings for maxi

Just picked up a cheap maxi from New Hampshire, pretty sure the crack head I bought it from ran it with no oil lol. Anyway definitely going to need a new piston and probably a cylinder, I can’t find anything on treats other than this piston https://www.treatland.tv/OEM-puch-stock-piston-38mm-x-2mm-p/oem-piston-349110106921.htm

It is a 2hp model so I believe it’s a high torque piston and cylinder. I’ve attached a picture of the head below, it doesn’t have a number. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great thanks.

8378021F-8B01-4C9B-85CC-2BAE6FFBE5C0.jpeg
A04FE5C3-8C3B-49DD-9AAB-6B5D2F9AFF82.jpeg
8DD0AAFF-2238-4F68-9DD6-0F5D465B05B8.jpeg

Re: Replacement piston/ rings for maxi

The number is on the cylinder, not the head. Look at the cylinder where the it mates to the head

Re: Replacement piston/ rings for maxi

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The number is on the cylinder, not the head. Look at the cylinder where

> the it mates to the head

Thank you, I forgot I’m stupid. It is a number 1 cylinder so I guess it isn’t a hi torque one, I also just remembered I have a number 3 cylinder and head lying around that’s much better. Does anyone know what piston I would need for a number 3 cylinder or a number 1?

Re: Replacement piston/ rings for maxi

Overpriced Parts /

You need to get a whole matching # top end or a small/mild 50cc Kit, trying to put a new piston in to worn probably out of round cylinder is dumb

Re: Replacement piston/ rings for maxi

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You need to get a whole matching # top end or a small/mild 50cc Kit,

> trying to put a new piston in to worn probably out of round cylinder is

> dumb

Would you know a website that sells a complete 50cc top end like that? There seems to be nothing on treats only 70 kits.

Re: Replacement piston/ rings for maxi

> Jack Walker Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Overpriced Parts Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You need to get a whole matching # top end or a small/mild 50cc Kit,

>

> > trying to put a new piston in to worn probably out of round cylinder

> is

>

> > dumb

>

> Would you know a website that sells a complete 50cc top end like that?

> There seems to be nothing on treats only 70 kits.

https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=puch+50cc

Best bang for your buck is probably the TCCD: https://www.treatland.tv/puch-50cc-tccd-kit-p/puch-tccd-kit-new-38mm.htm

Also is that kryptonite yours or was that included with the bike from the crackhead you got it off of? If it's the latter that shit's hot (edited)

Re: Replacement piston/ rings for maxi

Overpriced Parts /

> Jack Walker Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Overpriced Parts Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You need to get a whole matching # top end or a small/mild 50cc Kit,

>

> > trying to put a new piston in to worn probably out of round cylinder

> is

>

> > dumb

>

> Would you know a website that sells a complete 50cc top end like that?

> There seems to be nothing on treats only 70 kits.

Dos cycles

Re: Replacement piston/ rings for maxi

Tratland.tv as folks have posted. Dos cycles as well. There are also some good euro sites if the ones if the states dont come up with much.

Fun fact. There is this new site called a search engine. The one I like best is called Google. I use it to find keywords like "Puch Parts"

Re: Replacement piston/ rings for maxi

Since the hi-torque has a cast iron bore you could probably hone it and run it as long as it doesn't have any deep scoring above the ports. That piston could be reused in a pinch as well, just knock down any high spots and clean up the ring lands so the rings spring freely. I'd go with some new rings though. That lower ring has a crazy amount of end gap somehow.

Re: Replacement piston/ rings for maxi

> Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Since the hi-torque has a cast iron bore you could probably hone it and

> run it as long as it doesn't have any deep scoring above the ports. That

> piston could be reused in a pinch as well, just knock down any high

> spots and clean up the ring lands so the rings spring freely. I'd go

> with some new rings though. That lower ring has a crazy amount of end

> gap somehow.

Likely because the side not seen is free in the landing .

And , I'd simply clean that piston , smooth any high spots ; run a quick hone through the cylinder and run it .

The pistons in two of my bikes are in much worse shape than the very minor scoring I see on yours' . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account