Clutch Shimming Problems

roots to wings /

E50 clutch shimming help please. How do I get rid of this play? I’ve been thru the manual umpteen times and still cant get this right. I e completely disassembled another bike in less time to than I’ve been fucking with this clutch. Lower shim is 1.2mm and upper is 1.9mm on new stuffed crank. I assume I have to make the lower shim like 2.2mm but I am barely getting my snap ring on the bell as it is.

video of play in the clutch bell (edited)

Re: Clutch Shimming Problems

roots to wings /

todd amundson /

Do you have a17mm ID inner shim behind that clutch or a 15mm ID shim on the front of it? Looks like you’re missing one or both. That’s really fucked in the video. Looks like you have no shims in there.

Your having trouble getting which snap ring on? You should have a snap ring, big shim (17mm?), clutch bell/bushing, small shim (15mm?), and another snap ring.

I tore a "rebuilt" E50 down the had the big shim under the big snap ring.... the clutch bell was riding directly on the snap ring.

roots to wings /

All snap rings are on and both shims are in place. All are in the correct order and place. Famous last words. Either the length of the shaft between the snap rings is different than stick crank or my lower shim is way too small or both.

Overpriced Parts /

Didn’t follow shim directions perfectly, You have too big of inner shim,

On Some stuffed aftermarket cranks I had to use a .6m on the inner shim

If you did it before the engine was put back together which is easier you could see how the old gear pattern meshed

roots to wings /
22B9B1F0-C69C-4AF9-A36B-3E374040FD74.jpeg

@roffman. That would make the outer shim 2.9mm using the Puch service manual method. 3.7 - .6 - .2 = 2.9.

It was not clear to me whether the starter plate and retaining ring should be in when doing the service manual measurements. With it in there is a gap. Without the plate the gear sits right on the circlip and the .5-.6 would be the lower shim.

Service manual method requires starter plate and retaining ring to be on to get the measurements.

roots to wings /

Update. I was able to get all the play out (bell sliding on crank) with an inner shim of .9 and an outer shim on 1.7. Have not put the motor back on the bike yet, so stay tuned for a run report. This jdidn't really work like the puch service manual says. I basically came up with a combination of shims that took the play out.

Aftermarket crank / clutch or combination thereof can require way different shimming than stock, so the manual is more or less a guide of how to get there. I recall having to do a similar very thin inner / thicc af outer on a build not long ago

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account