Re-Greasing Variator Roller Housing [Vespa Grande]

I just started work on a 1978 Vespa Grande. The owner's manual suggests I "grease roller housing" every 5,000 miles. Seeing as this might not have ever been done on the bike (and because I am waiting on some parts) I figured I might as well. From what I can tell, roller housing refers to the inside of the variator, so I removed mine and opened it up.

63314480659__1F9E4D09-94B8-4CA8-9A42-A84FFFFC1DD1.JPG

The crackly stuff along the wall is old grease (looks crunchy but still soft).

What is the best way to remove the old grease and clean the rollers, housing, and the rest of the variator?

What grease should I replace it with? Grease grease? Graphite?

The manual asks for Esso Beacon 3 grease. So I was thinking of getting any #3 grease and filling the walls to the same amount of grease as shown above. I saw a thread on here that suggests graphite instead. What do you guys think?

Here's another pic.

IMG_7682.JPG

Re: Re-Greasing Variator Roller Housing [Vespa Grande]

Dirty30 Dillon /

Clean with whatever solvent you like, go easy on the roller covers.

I don't pack the variator with grease, just a light smear hand-rolled onto each one with a small amount on the ramps themselves.

That's about it.

the grease on the outer ring isnt doing anything, concentrate on the rollers, i like to open them up and smear a little on the metal weight inside, not in the hole but the oiter surface that contacts the plastic.

Pussy Licker420 /

Use some good grease

Isn't the grease on the outer ring there so that the rollers re-grease themselves each time they roll all the way out? It seems like whenever the variator spins fastest the rollers would touch the greasy ring to stay lubricated.

Hadn't thought about opening the rollers.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account