Hobbit-rectifier

I am in need of a rectifier for a Hobbit. I posted on MA buy/sell and no one has one and Treats & Dos Cycles do not have one either. Does anyone know of another source or a reasonably priced after market unit that will work on the Hobbit. Thanks. Jack

Re: Hobbit-rectifier

Did you look on Ebay?

PA 1 or 2 ?

3 wire or 2 ?

Yes I looked on eBay .Nothing there.

PA50 I, two wire. Jack

Purchased a used Honda Hobbit rectifier from Shaun at Myron’s Mopeds for $16.00.

Jack

What are you calling a rectifier ?? The deal that goes to the HT coil?? Show me what you want and I will sell it to ya. I have all the oem parts in duplicate for hobbits with points.

Dr. Marc:

Yes I am looking for the rectifier that converts the AC voltage to pulsating DC voltage. I need this one for a test stand I constructed to run my motors before I go to the effort of installing them on the bike. I will send you a photo if you are interested. I have pay pay, credit card and even cash. Please tell me what your asking price is for the rectifier. Remember: “Better is the enemy of good.” — Voltaire.

Thanks

Jack Nielsen.

72 Hildurcrest Dr.

Simsbury, CT 06070

email: jw.nielsen@yahoo.com.

Well it was 16.95 on Myron's so $22 paypal good and services and Ill ship it usps small priority box. Though I could stick it in a small mailer and throw a bunch of stamps on it. For a few bucks less. Your call! Obviously you could ship like 8 or more in a small priority mail box but unfortunately they don't offer an extra small which they should.

marcfriedman07@gmail.com

If this is for the spark’s rectifier it’s not needed.

Hobbit ran dc spark but it works just fine as ac spark.

If it’s for accessory coils that power lights, any universal moped rectifier will work.

I already mailed it to him jbot...and while I agree that it's a wonky electronic honda engineering solution ( yes I've hooked up a motor with and without one and didn't see any difference, Jack wanted that part for some kind of test stand , so perhaps their is some hidden secret. PERHAPS ITS COLD FUSION or the Honda rectifier can more efficiently power the correct orientation of the dilithium crystals.

Hello JBOT:

I disagree with your comment about the need for a rectifier. However I will do a test tomorrow and let you know the results. The reason I disagree is that the b/w wire from the power coil on the stator (which produces AC current) run directly to the rectifier and then to the a high tension coil. The rectifier convert the AC to pulsating DC. The other two wires wires run directly to the other circuits, bypassing the rectifier. Light bulbs do not care if they get AC or DC voltage. But I will let you know tomorrow the results of my findings. Jack

The b/w wire from the stator can go directly to the coil. I do it all the time to test when the engine is out.

Jack I'm rooting for you on this. I keep asking why did honda do this? Even the great jbot , master of electrons in the vicinity of sf bay area cannot know all the wisdom of electrons under the effect of mount fuji. Honda wisdom is deeper. Jack will attempt to understand.

The Answer Is: I stand corrected and humbled. I removed the rectifier from the ignition circuit and stated the motor. It ran, no questions asked.

I put a call into Shaun Myron at Myron Mopeds (knowledge guy) who said the rectifier was installed to bleed off current from the ignition circuit to give more power to the lights. I briefly looked at the wiring diagram and can not understand how that would work, so I will get out my old electrical engineering books tonight and have a look.

Let you know when and if I figure it out. Jack

This is a ridiculous idea and statement.

Why?

Because hobbits have the beefiest accessory coils I’ve ever seen. I power a 55w headlight that glows like the fucking sun off that yellow wire coil. It puts out 40vac easily and loaded. It’s never burned it out in 10 years and thousands of miles. The red wire coil with one diode in half wave dc puts out a consistent 13vdc and supplies over 1A and doesn’t sag. Every points hobbit can convert to 12v only by adding a regulator.

No other moped uses dc spark because it’s kinda stupid. Fuck that rectifier, period

End rant

Dirty30 Dillon /

Shoulda listened to JBot, he's been at it broken anything hobbit down to component atoms.

The reason pulsating (AKA half-wave, in this case) DC was used was simply that Honda in the 70's was still heavy on a kick of using DC for ignition. No idea why. Sucks, as the system was carried over from full motos which really suffered from that system.

That said, the coils really don't care too much, despite saying "DC" no them in some cases

Richard Eberline /

AC voltage alternates. DC voltage is direct voltage it is constant and surge free.

"Half wave" DC literally just throws away half of the power from the coil by using a single diode as a rectifier. It's dumb, but very simple (AKA cheap and easy to make reliable).

If you use a full bridge rectifier (four whole diodes!) you'll get about twice the power. Adding a capacitor makes it very nearly DC and more friendly to devices like LEDs.

Yes but.... It’s also a poor mans way of regulating dc voltage if the coil and draw allows it. The red coil with half wave is perfect for the Bosch water pump. 1 diode and you’re rolling 13vdc at 9k. If it was full wave voltage would be like 20vdc or so and I’d need another regulator

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Richard Eberline Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> AC voltage alternates. DC voltage is direct voltage it is constant and

> surge free.

Not all DC voltage is constant. DC voltage only implies that it has a single polarity.

Pulsing DC is a real thing, it just really doesn't apply to mopeds.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account