Sachs "Torpedo" hub

I have a Victoria Vicky 2 and a Victoria FM38. both have Sach Torpedo single speed hubs. On the FM 38 the axle is bad, the bearing cone broke. On the Vicky the cone is cracked. I thought that the axle on both were 10mm X 1, but they are not. They are slightly larger. Does anyone know where I can buy parts for the Sachs Torpedo hubs? also I would like to know what type of thread it is. The axle measures about 10.28mm or .410. the thread is 1 mm or 26tpi. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers from cedar Crest New Mexico.

Re: Sachs "Torpedo" hub

Terbo Speghetti /

I don't know where to find those parts, but a machine shop should be able to whip em up for relatively cheap. It's at least worth asking

Can you take that axle with you to the hardware store and test different nuts?

PS: I have an 70's Ducati that actually has a few parts with 7/16 x 20 threads.

Do you have a pic of the hub? 10mm seems small, like a bicycle hub. I have a few old Sachs torpedo bike hubs, might have what you need.

Brian Tyree /

I received a reply from a fellow in Germany who says that the tread is 10.55mm X 26tpi. I will attach a diagram. I think it is the same thread that they use on some Sturmey Archer hubs. The size is also sometimes quoted as 13/32 X 26tpi. The axle is 170 mm long.

Torpedo heavyweight hub.gif

Could it be BSC thread? https://tinyurl.com/y3uzkofm

It is odd that you would have a metric size axle with Cycle thread. 26TPI is cycle thread.

Playing with older British motorcycles and bicycles I know they used those threads.

You ought to post a picture of the Victoria Vicki 2.

look on sheldon browns bike site for info on all the hubs, there are some weird ones.

That's super cool, I love th vickys

I have been in touch with Brian. He's a close friend.

Say's he is going to attempt to build a 10.5mm x 26 tap.

Wish I lived closer so I could watch him do this, going to be interesting.

Maybe I can get him to take pictures and write an article on how he did or does it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account