1977 Puch Maxi convert to 12 V

I do not know if this has been asked before but, can you get 12V from a stock points system??? If so how do you wire it?

Re: 1977 Puch Maxi convert to 12 V

Replace the lighting coil with a 12v coil and bam you have 12v

Wh....

...why

Brighter lights with more options.

Overpriced Parts /

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Replace the lighting coil with a 12v coil and bam you have 12v

Not bam, your not Emeril Lagasse. With the new treats 12 V you got to hack it in your 1977 five wire wiring system with a regulator without not shorting something.

It’s a bit easier to hack in to a 1977 5 wire system then the newer 1978 and up because or ground method but still you’re taking away three coils and putting in one so it’s not any more capacity, a china made coil and regulator chopped your wiring not gonna be as reliable

Those all in one coils are good if you’re missing your wiring that’s about it, Bikes I’ve seen seen or worked on to put back to stock that had one of those coils in was a birds nest of a mess wires hanging all over the place and the lights worked very poorly if it all

Those 12v lighting coils are great. It’s no hack job to install them, you just unscrew the bolts and replace two old coils with one new coil. You can even run the taillight through it and lose that coil too. Sure, you should use a regulator to keep the revs from blowing your bulbs, but that’s not exotic technology. I’ve got bright white LEDs without anything more than those two parts. I can fuck almost anything up, but you have to work at it to fuck up a lighting coil installation.

I found setting it up with a floating ground on the lighting side was the most difficult part of the 12v conversion. do some reading and you'll find all the info you need.

It's a lot easier to just rewire the bike, then you don't have to worry about 40 year-old corroded wiring either.

Can you wire the coils in series to get 12v? If so which wires/ coils

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account