Thread Tape on Exhaust Nut (Motobecane)

Billy Wingren /

So, it seems that my exhaust is leaking. Its LOUD.

I think that the exhaust nut may be coming unthreaded.

IS there a thread tape or something that can repair this?

Thanks

Re: Thread Tape on Exhaust Nut (Motobecane)

From Rebel moby :

If the nut is loose first you need a new crush gasket. Then you need to tight it well and ride until the engine is heat soaked and check tight it again. You can safety wire the nut after that

OR

Make a knock over washer.

KnockOverPicture.jpg

Billy Wingren /

Wow, thanks...

Another question... will this work?

https://www.treatland.tv/motobecane-replacement-OVERSIZE-exhaust-nut-32-5-p/mbk-stock-exhaust-nut-oversize.htm

Here is a pic of my setup, currently.

Thanks

Billy

Exhaust.jpg

Billy Wingren /

I ordered a new crush gasket the other day... just waiting on it. I'll try that first. Hopefully it will work. Is there any kind of thread tape that you know of that is motor heat resistant?

NOPE - best way is to use the new crush gasket and a mechanical locking device if the thread in the jug are slightly worn. If the threads are severely worn then you need to score a oversize nut. https://www.treatland.tv/motobecane-replacement-OVERSIZE-exhaust-nut-32-5-p/mbk-stock-exhaust-nut-oversize.htm. The 0,5mm larger nut is same pitch as original nut, so it will self tap into the cylinder. Basically you need to thread the oversize nut into the cylinder without the pipe or gasket first to recut the thread. Then take it out and install the nut to the pipe throw in your new crush gasket and install the pipe. The additional locking device(s) are always a goodly idea anyhow.

> Billy Wingren Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I ordered a new crush gasket the other day... just waiting on it. I'll

> try that first. Hopefully it will work. Is there any kind of thread tape

> that you know of that is motor heat resistant?

The nut can still vibrate out of the cylinder .

Maybe a set screw , in the right place , through the spring collar would keep the nut from coming out .

Billy Wingren /

GREAT! Thanks so much. I'll work on it.

I appreciate your help.

Billy

Billy Wingren /

Cool. Thank you!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account