Proper 5 star install

Mark Younggren /

My friend gave me a set of 5 stars he got from treats and I have never delt with these before.

Correct me if I am wrong for install

Front:

Drill out break hub plate to 12mm

Push in one bearing on hub

Add small spacer

Push in second bearing

Reuse speedo drive from old wheel??

Push through axel and add spacers on end as necessary

Install wheel and lock with end nuts

Rear:

Same steps as above

Reuse 45tooth sprocket attach to wheel

Can I add a pedal sprocket? I feel like it won’t fit. Will a bike shop have the sprocket anything special to ask for?

Push axel through add spacers tighten with end nut.

I tried to line up in the picture what goes with what wheel.

EF8EABB6-2D16-4C50-B1C8-51A104E94702.jpeg

Re: Proper 5 star install

Yes your pedal sprocket should thread onto the side of the rear hub. You will need a special tool to remove that though. They are finicky to get on and off, the tool really helps.

All the rest of your process seems good though. Just get in it and have fun.

If I remember right, the rear hub fits into the rim on the freewheel side, so don’t mount the freewheel until the hub is bolted up.

I was expecting to have to shim the bearings but the place where they fit was a little too small rather than a little too big. If you get a long 12mm bolt, a nut, and a couple of 1/2” washers with the same OD as the bearing you can press them in pretty easy.

> Chinatown Kicks Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If I remember right, the rear hub fits into the rim on the freewheel

> side, so don’t mount the freewheel until the hub is bolted up.

>

> I was expecting to have to shim the bearings but the place where they

> fit was a little too small rather than a little too big. If you get a

> long 12mm bolt, a nut, and a couple of 1/2” washers with the same OD as

> the bearing you can press them in pretty easy.

A puch seat post is also the correct diameter to help press the bearings in. The diameter of the tube hits the outer part of the bearing perfect. A few taps from a mallet should get them in nice and easy. This is usually my process for getting the bearings in place.

Mark Younggren /

Perfect, thanks all for the help.

Mark Younggren /

Alright so final question. Does a nut go on the axel to keep the bearing "in place" then install the brake hub then another nut on each side of the axel to tighten the wheel to the swing arm after mounting tire?

Maybe you can if your axle is threaded all the way down but you don't need to. I put a short spacer against the bearing, then a washer on top of that, then the brake plate. If you do put a nut there ya gotta use the kind that has a thin part that only contacts the inner diameter of the bearing.

Mark Younggren /

Finally powder coated the rims and go to install bearings and hubs. Bearings went in easy but when connecting hubs to the rims the Allen screws That came with rims kit only screw in about half way if that (picture attached). The front hub slides in flush with the rims and looks good other then the screws not fully long enough. The rear hub seems to snug up against the rim and not slide in flush. I’m I missing something???

1405ACAC-0439-43B8-88C3-4FBE7C891CAB.jpeg
50D8287A-41B4-4321-A51E-B990034492DC.jpeg
F745EEEE-4840-4D7D-ABD8-5AD64E27DF5B.jpeg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account