im asking for help on a timing issue and it's like a ghost town

What is wrong with people being so selfish? I thought this site was for friendship and moped talk helping people and sharing ideas?? I'm just trying to learn. I put on a crankshaft in my a35 now the pipe gets hot and runs bad after five minutes. Can't get an opinion. Does anyone speak up on here?

Re: im asking for help on a timing issue and it's like a ghost town

Tweaker trash /

All the real dudes are mostly gone or rather not saying anything. It’s mostly full of trolls now a days.

Timing is kinda difficult to explain over the computer...trail and error is needed to learn about ignition timing.

It also could be other stuff like air leaks and stuff

I put a nick in the inner case down where the bottom of the crankshaft sits in my tomos a35. Knocking a bearing out with a hammer. It was stupid I know. Mallet for now on. I put a crankshaft out of another a35. Put my stator plate right on the top case line where it was previously. Ran ok for five minutes then loss of power Lean plug and pipe was burning hot

But I have a spare a35 gonna use the good inner case out of it to try again when I get money to order a center gasket. Right now my bikes in pieces. But I have everything organized like a champ. The crankshaft that my bike originally had in it ran strong it's a helluva moped. But splines was worn out from the previous guys that owned it. It's starting to eat up 1st gear clutch hubs. So they was doing burnouts all the time or someone rode it without keeping the clutch nut tight. What I don't understand. Is my original crankshaft has 2 holes for a timing pin. But one hole had the timing pin in it. The other hole had red dye in it. The timing pin was in the notch on the inside of the crankshaft toward the center of the crank. You know what i mean. What I don't understand. Is my new crankshaft oem has a pin hole further out towards the threads closer to the flywheel. So I know timing will be advance if I put the new crankshaft in. So continuation of problems. I'm just gonna put the original crankshaft back in. And replace 1st gear clutch whenever it gets worn out. Because I don't have a timing light. Don't know anyone that could give a damn about helping with a moped engine. Nobody in my town around here has a tomos but one other person and he is a newb knows less than me. It's just bs. Wishing I knew where an exact identical crankshaft is to my original. I would buy it or wheel and deal for it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's not the crankshafts fault.

Either you have an airleak from mis-installation or you didn't put the flywheel woodruff key in correctly (most likely).

Stop creating new threads for the same problem, just bump the original man.

Dillon I took a crankshaft out of another tomos a35 that had the same exact numbers on the case as my tomos Case. Anyhow the crankshaft had a pin in it.seemed like that pin sat a little lower than mine in my crankshaft. The engine ran but after a few minutes loss of power and pipe was hot. Like timing is retarded a bit. So I'm gonna put my old crankshaft back in when I get a center gasket. But I am going to experiment. I think if I move the notch on the stator plate counter clock Wise towards the second line on case a hair at a time and keep trying I can dial it in.

If you set the stator back where it was before then timing shouldn't be your issue. I don't think the crank is your issue either. When you put it back together did you use new gaskets and seals?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Mark alan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Dillon I took a crankshaft out of another tomos a35 that had the same

> exact numbers on the case as my tomos Case. Anyhow the crankshaft had a

> pin in it.seemed like that pin sat a little lower than mine in my

> crankshaft. The engine ran but after a few minutes loss of power and

> pipe was hot. Like timing is retarded a bit. So I'm gonna put my old

> crankshaft back in when I get a center gasket. But I am going to

> experiment. I think if I move the notch on the stator plate counter

> clock Wise towards the second line on case a hair at a time and keep

> trying I can dial it in.

100% your flywheel has slipped over that keyway and is off. Rebuilding this again with the old crank is fruitless until you've check these other things.

Dillon I nicked the inner-city case and damaged it right down in the center where the very bottom of the crankshaft sits. I have a whole spare a35. I'm gonna use the inner case to put it back together. With new gaskets. And I have a nice timing pin I'm gonna watch closely and put the flywheel and everything back together. I had it doing great before just have to reverse everything just perfect on reassembly

Set the ignition timing at 18°-20°, make sure you do a leakdown test to eliminate the chance of a vacuum leak producing the high temperatures. Also read your plugs for all of the data, not just air-fuel ratios

BasicPlugReading1.jpg

I don't have time lights or meter or anything. when I'm done putting it back together carefully. And it still having problems I will just offer all my spare moped parts for someone local to time it for me. It's my only transportation.

Dirty30 Dillon /

You should invest in a cheap leakdown tester. It's worth it vs. doing a retroactive rebuild every time you have an issue.

Also, You don't have to have someone time the bike. If you put it all back together correctly, timing should be fine

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You should invest in a cheap leakdown tester. It's worth it vs. doing a

> retroactive rebuild every time you have an issue.

I can't agree enough.. I built mine. I don't know if we need to keep reinventing the wheel here. I wonder if I could find it and try to help you find the parts.

I think anyone who isn't testing is just doing shit work.

Ok Dillon. I bought a brand new oem crankshaft. It's got marking numbers on the con rod exactly as the original crankshaft con rod. here it is. TMU-50. can I put my timing pin in it out of the old crank and put it together and make sure flywheel is lined up and stator plate notch is on the top notch as originally?? And it should be fine you say?

Yes New gasket and seals. But I used an old spare crankshaft with a nub of a pin. Not very confident looking. It could have not been sufficient.

IMG_20201010_130304_3.jpg

I'm going to post a pic of the original crankshaft. I don't understand the 2 timing Holes for pins. Outer pin hole is stamped with red dye. My timing pin was hole further in. My new oem crankshaft only has one pin hole??? What do you do

Dirty30 Dillon /

They only ever came with one hole. Someone must have re-drilled it after rolling over the original pin.

Just use the hole in the crank that's there

This is my stock crankshaft. My new crankshaft has same number on the con rod. But only one firing hole and the hole for the pin on the New crankshaft is where the red dye stamp is.

Understand what I'm saying? The new crankshaft firing pin hole is where the red dye hole is on the pictured crankshaft.

IMG_20201010_133049_5.jpg

this new oem crankshaft the firing pin is closer to the threads like 2 mm further out that the original. (edited)

I've never seen a tomos crank with more than one hole for the pin. My guess is that someone drilled it to use a flywheel with a damaged keyway.

The pic with the red dye pin hole is my original crankshaft. The second picture is the new oem crankshaft.

I'm just needing to know if there's a reason why the treats oem crankshaft pin hole is position different than the crankshaft from my bike? How would it be timed fine on reassembly?

It doesn't really matter if the hole is a little closer to the threads or a little farther back, but if it was moved left or right on the circumference that would change the timing.

Yes if you look at the pic of the crankshaft that came out of the bike the PIN was in the hole without the dye that sits off to the left inside. The brand new crankshaft has the pin hole positioned on the shaft where the red dye is in the first picture. That's what looks crazy.

If I'm thinking about this right the engine spins counter-clockwise and someone moved the timing pin (and thus rotating whole flywheel) a few degrees to the right, so that would retard the timing. I'm not sure by how much maybe about 4 degrees? But it doesn't matter since you aren't using that crank and the timing pin on the new crank is where tomos intended to be.

That's right. Can't wait to get my gaskets and New bearings. Treats sent them out Friday.

The red dye is inside the keyway on the flywheel. That must have been a mistake in the factory is why they put dye in the first pin. Maybe assembly guy had specs from older engine builds. Because these are original parts on my bike. I'm the first person that touched the flywheel few days ago.

Is your keyway wallered out inside the flywheel? If you're still chasing an air leak that's gonna be fucking with you as others have said.

The "red dye" is probably dried loctite because somebody made some tweaker mods on your old crank.

My guess: 1. Pin got loose in the original keyway because of wear or sloppy reinstall of flywheel during a repair. 2. Original owner tried using red loctite to locate the pin, failed. 3. Original owner then drilled a new hole to the best of their ability but it was offset because drilling on a crank arm is hard.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account