Yoke nut stuck on forks!

I’m trying to convert the old style puch bar style to new. But one of the nuts on the yoke(?) just keeps spinning. Like it is attached to spring inside the forks. Any ideas?

76077C7B-3A45-4D70-A170-0BB66871C984.jpeg

Re: Yoke nut stuck on forks!

Sometimes ya gotta sort of lift it while you're turning, like maybe use a paint scraper or something to jam in beneath the head of the bolt and pry up while turning it. Alternatively push down on that plate, compressing the spring and putting pressure on the bolt from above and below, while turning.

Might be stripped man.

Buy another one

Impact gun and upward pressure.

Stand on the fender tab, pull up on the yoke, and loosen. Ideally with an impact.

Richard Eberline /

dremel the head off, take the fork tube and spring out. Address the repair from that point.

Overpriced Parts /

> Bob Naske Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Impact gun and upward pressure.

That’s ^ what I do

Sometimes you just cant get these to stop spinning with tools from the top. The worst is you cant back up and tighten it at this point. Your committed to having to get this bolt extracted or your forks will be forever mushy in turns.

The last resort is to remove the front wheel like Richard said and grind off the head of the bolt and knock the whole mess out of the fork tube.

Then you can see what your going to have to do next.

Tweaker trash /

Wow guys I’m surprised nobody could answer this properly!

What is happing is the fork spring is no longer locked into the fork leg and is spinning freely with the bolt.

Take off front wheel, spin and push the leg up, this should lock the spring back in. You might have to mess with it a little.

What I ended up doing is dremeling the fork head off and completely rebuilding the forks. The spring was stuck to the top of the bolt. I had to spray some PB blaster in there, stick a long tube in the fork, squish it super tight into the ground and then I could finally take the bolt off and the spring came down falling out the with it. Rebuilt the forks, new top plate, new bars all good.

Take off front wheel, spin and push the leg up, this should lock the spring back in. You might have to mess with it a little.

This never works. The the problem continues to repeat itself over and over.

You cant torque the flimsy spring tight enough to over come the stuck bolt threads.

He dremeled off the head and got his own proper answer.

Have you been spooning?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account