Ethanol and Dellorto carbs

I've heard that ethanol may harm the rubber/plastic parts of vintage carbs.

Are modern Dellorto carbs okay w ethanol?

I imagine Italy doesn't use ethanol (no corn lobby there) so they may not be designed for it.

Joe

Re: Ethanol and Dellorto carbs

I remove the ethanol with water. OR I buy ethanol free when in FL. Just get a clear jug. Add the inch of water in the bottom. Make a mark on the outside of the jug at the level of the water. Add the gas. Cover and shake it a little. Let it set for a few hours until the above separated gas is clear. I just turn the 2 liter bottle I use upside down with its lid tight and leave it for a day propped against a wall. Pour off the gas into another container, taking care not to let the mixture of ethanol and water pour out with it.

Use premium gas or at least 89 octane, because they used the ethanol to raise the octane a point. You'll be amazed at how simple it is to remove the ethanol.

I put a tiny bit of the old stp gas treatment , like one teaspoon, in to a 2 liter bottle of the ethanol free product.

Don,

Most of my vintage bikes are motorcycles, my only moped-like one is a '65 Sears /Gilera 106cc. Going through the process, one liter at a time, to separate the water from the gasoline, is tedious, esp since they use more fuel than a moped.

Joe

> Joe T Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Don,

>

> Most of my vintage bikes are motorcycles, my only moped-like one is a

> '65 Sears /Gilera 106cc. Going through the process, one liter at a

> time, to separate the water from the gasoline, is tedious, esp since

> they use more fuel than a moped.

>

> Joe

When a single can of pop isn't enough to satisfy you , you buy a 6 pack and have a few left over . ;)

Ethonal is bad for all carbureted bikes. It has a shorter shelf life and creates a odd green and even crystalized sludge.

I would search for ethanol free gas in your area. Or even a gas station that has 100 octane race gas. Octane ratings vary by state. You can also get lake gas form a marina because most marinas carry EF gas.

Erich,

I've checked everywhere locally, but because Massachusetts is politically left, they've fully adopted the "new green" of ethanol, and that's all. Period.

There's a local friendly airport that'll sell me alcohol free aviation gas, but that's got lead in it, which will plug the catalytic converter on one bike. There's also a station by a race track, that has a pump w race gas, but that's 12/gallon.

Joe

Seems like 12 bucks a gallon is a lot more tedious than pouring a quart of water into 5 gallons of gas and waiting for it to for it to separate , while you sit back and drink a beer . ;)

Bad enough we can not use engines made before the 1990s because of the lack of tetraethyllead in the fuel and now we will not be able to use anything made before 2010 because of the ethanol content [/sarcastic font]

> P D Wrote:

> Seems like 12 bucks a gallon is a lot more tedious than pouring a quart

> of water into 5 gallons of gas and waiting for it to for it to separate

> , while you sit back and drink a beer . ;)

Pdcomm,

I'm interested in your idea of extracting the ethanol in 5 gal quantities. So...get a clear gasoline proof container, and use that?

Joe

The container does not have to be clear . As long as you can see the separation line/point .

Follow the same technique as Don described above^ .

Only difference is a larger quantity .

Okay, not sure about laying in $ for a larger semi-clear container that's gasoline safe, if I can even find one.

> Joe T Wrote:

> Okay, not sure about laying in $ for a larger semi-clear container

> that's gasoline safe, if I can even find one.

A plastic gas can will do . Shine a decent light through from one side and you'll be able to see exactly how full it is on the other side .

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

I’ve used e85 in a 12.12, I just run the bowl dry when I’m done. It’s messed up the fuel line and the little paper gasket around the inlet, but other than that it’s been good. Just used a metal gasket of the right size from a nikki carb for an rx7

> Joe T Wrote:

> Erich,

>

> I've checked everywhere locally, but because Massachusetts is

> politically left, they've fully adopted the "new green" of ethanol, and

> that's all. Period.

>

> There's a local friendly airport that'll sell me alcohol free aviation

> gas, but that's got lead in it, which will plug the catalytic converter

> on one bike. There's also a station by a race track, that has a pump w

> race gas, but that's 12/gallon.

>

> Joe

I was going to suggest AV gas ⛽️. I use to teach buy an airport and would run it all the time. But never on a bike with a cat.

There used to be a web site that would tell you where you could buy no ethanol fuel in your area, pure-gas.org I think it is? Ethanol is bad for carbs. but if you run the bike every day it is not so bad, if it is to sit a bit close petcock and run carb dry, if to sit all winter run bike out of gas first. There is a product avail to treat ethanol gas, can be had at hardware and auto parts stores, I forget the name of it at the moment. I would never mess around with decanting ethanol from gas, Don has a lot of free time. :) It's just mopeds....

I used to have this clear 5 gallon jug, but I guess we busted it. It was perfect for larger quantities. I have 2 two-liters out by the building ready to pour in my moped gas can.

It's simple. The resulting waste mixture you can just pour on the ground like whiskey and water.

I now have, with minimal effort, 5 gallons of probably 91-92 octane ethanol free, moped and small engine (chainsaws and mowers) fuel.

Should hold me for another month.

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

Oh also ethanol will eat through paint that you spill it on, especially if it’s spray paint, even with a clear

Dirty30 Dillon /

I like using pump gas and just running it. I don't have the facilities or time to process out my gas, nor spend the extra on finding and buying fancy man gas.

They're just mopeds.

Whatever floats yer boat! But no one has to run ethanol , in mopeds or other small 2 strokes, if they don't want to.

I'm interested in doing the conversion , but not a 1 liter at a time. My time has value, at least a little.

And also, it seems that there will be a lot of residual water left in the fuel afterward. Who wants that?

> Joe T Wrote:

> My time has value, at least a little.

You must have looked at your pay check recently . ;)

Tweaker trash /

Ethanol free gas around me is like $9 bucks a gallon. If I buy 10 gallons i could just buy a new carb.....

What!?! It's like $3.01 here....

I see it down in FL for 3 bucks, but haven't seen it in OH. Besides, it's so easy to do at 2.74 for premium.

Tweaker trash /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> What!?! It's like $3.01 here....

Yea but it tast so good ;)

you could use a sangria bottle after you empty it,available at Walmart a friend told me.

I can't remember where I got it but I have a 10 gallon separation tank, originally made for making bio diesel outta waste oil. Looks like a funnel on legs with only a small opening at the top and a tap at the bottom. I fill a 5 gallon can with four gallons of gas and add 16oz of water, shake and throw it in the tank. The next day I just open the tap until I start seeing gas ontoppa the water in the drain bucket. Add some stabil and I'm good for a few months.

I don't think a pint of water is enough to remove 10% ethanol. You'll still have ethanol left in the gas. (edited)

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> I don't think a pint of water is enough to remove 10% ethanol. You'll

> still have ethanol left in the gas.

It takes 1 cup ( 8 ounces ) of water to remove ethanol from 1 gallon of gas .

That means for 4 gallons , 32 ounces of water should be used .

Seems Aaron is leaving half the ethanol in his gas. :(

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account